£9.00 Per Month

Frank Wilson
Frank Wilson Posts: 930
edited March 2017 in The cake stop
Why would anyone want to add £108.00 per year to their gas bill to control their central heating from their phone. Based on the reasoning that most people only use their heating maybe five / six months a year it actually works out to be close to £20.00 per usable month.

Last time I looked all boilers have a time clock on them to set the heating to come on and go off.

Even if one does irregular hours the house is only going to be cold for about ten minutes when you get in.

It really amazes me just what people will spend their money on plus it gives motorists another thing to do on their phone whilst driving home.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I don't remember it costing me any extra, but I regularly use the phone to control my heating ... find it very useful
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Doesnt cost me any extra and i can change the heating if i'm going to be late or earlier than expected.

And make sure my wife hasnt bumped it up to 28 degrees when shes got perfectly good jumpers and mittens to put on.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Assume you're on about Hive.

We bought ours outright (no monthly bill - £150 bought and fitted) 3-4 years back. Was a no brainer as we had no thermostat at all just a timer. It being wireless meant it was the cheapest option. Controlling it from the phone is just a bonus and more useful than it first appears.

We also have the lights outside and in the living room on the same system. Again just as cheap as buying normal timers
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    cougie wrote:
    Doesnt cost me any extra and i can change the heating if i'm going to be late or earlier than expected.

And make sure my wife hasnt bumped it up to 28 degrees when shes got perfectly good jumpers and mittens to put on.

For someone that's really wicked, there are all sorted of possibilities here - you could go home to a family dressed like Nanook of the North!!! :-)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Been trying to work this out since hearing the ads. Considering my gas bill is only £30 odd per month it seems excessive for those occasional days where your routine changes and British Gas have the nerve to call it an exclusive deal!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    BM - "It's a bit chilly, I think I'll put a jumper on"
    Mrs BM - "It's a bit chilly. I won't bother putting a jumper on or indeed putting something on my feet, I'll just whack the heating up."
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I wired mine up wrong so that when I switch on my central heating the car starts to drive. Smashes in to people, breaks the speed limit and formulates triangular stickers saying 'My other car is a Baxi'.

Still at least I can drink a couple of bottles of vodka in peace rather than having to balance them on the dashboard.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    So all these people going through life with their mobile phones superglued to the side of their heads are actually adjusting their gas central heating. I never realised...
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Can you wire up politicians to shut the fck up remotely?
    A price really worth paying.....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yeah, I was amazed to learn the price of that. Thing is, most of the advert benefits seem to pander to the main target audience interested in Hive...as in those who are looking to waste more fuel rather than just put up with a little discomfort every now and then. Whilst this could be sold on switching off the heating or turning it down, it seems to appeal to those who want to turn the heating on/up. Hence, one gets to pay £9 a month and a bigger heating bill.