MTBing down Snowden

Danieljephcott
Danieljephcott Posts: 334
edited March 2017 in MTB general
Hi all. Off to snowden area in a couple of weeks and my wife mentioned getting the train up snowden and then walking down. I'm thinking that biking down might be more fun.

Is it possible? Is it difficult? Can you take the bikes up on the train? No chance I could ride up it.

It's just a thought :).

Comments

• Actually just looked at some you tube clips. Not sure the wife would do it. Shame though looks like a challenge
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    You can't take bikes on the train anyway.Ride/push/carry is the only way up.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    oxoman wrote:
    Snowdon has an open and close season for mountain biking, it's currently out of season so you would be ok now I believe. I don't think you can do one way on the railway prebooking an certainly they won't carry bikes. I'm not sure if during the so called close season you can ride before and after certain times. I'm sure the Snowdonia national parks site will have some info somewhere.
    In the "closed season"(May 1st-Sept 30th) you can ride outside the 10:00-17:00 voluntary ban times.
    http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/page ... volunt.htm
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    oxoman wrote:
    I don't think you can do one way on the railway prebooking

You can book one way. Last time we went up there we booked up only. My six-year-old had major hip surgery 4 weeks prior so we thought walking up might be pushing it a bit. We did make her walk down, though. Evil parents! :D
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd stick to walking if i were you. And if its snowy up there I'd go lower level.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Riding down the Pyg track is good if you're feeling brave. I've still got a scar from a high speed crash in a rock garden.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Riding down the Pyg track is good if you're feeling brave. I've still got a scar from a high speed crash in a rock garden.

We walked up the Pyg track in the summer ( well August, p*****g down rain & mist ) it really seems to be suffering from erosion, your a lot braver man than me RockmonkeySC
  • I think we are going to give the ride down a miss. I thought there might have been an easy root. wifes on a voodoo hardtail so not fair for her really. oh and shes never done anything like that haha.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I've done snowdon a few times, the Rangers path is a superb descent.

I can't say it'd be fun on a hardtail though!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Hard enough walking down. Your wife would hurt herself badly on a hard tail if shes not used to it.

On a good day its a glorious view from the Top.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    cougie wrote:
    Hard enough walking down. Your wife would hurt herself badly on a hard tail if shes not used to it.

On a good day its a glorious view from the Top.

It's easier riding a bike down, I've done both.

But only if you're competent enough on those type of descents
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    iwilldoit wrote:

We walked up the Pyg track in the summer ( well August, p*****g down rain & mist ) it really seems to be suffering from erosion, your a lot braver man than me RockmonkeySC

You don't need to be brave. Stupid works for me.
    It's not too bad when you don't know what to expect and just keep the speed up and hope for the best.
    I'd been climbing on Clogwynn Du'r Arrdu the day before so at least I wasn't convinced I was going to die a horrible death on pointy boulders.