Recovery Drinks/ Food

w1lz
w1lz Posts: 37
Hi guys,

So I'm relatively new to road cycling and until now I havnt used any form of protein recovery drinks. Recently i have been upping the tempo and length of my training sessions and feel I now could do with some form of recovery product.

When looking it feels like a minefield. I'm very interested in the brand 'myprotein' as it seems cheap and has relatively good reviews but there are so many options. My friend who is a runner has a mix of whey protein and oat something?! He says his bio science friend told him it was perfect for recovery and much cheaper than the recovery specific shakes.

So I basically would like to know what do you do?

What's best on a budget?

And what does a cyclist need in terms of protein etc?

Also any experience with the above brand?

Any help would be great!!

Thanks

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Lump of cheese?
  • w1lz wrote:
    Hi guys,

Recently i have been upping the tempo and length of my training sessions and feel I now could do with some form of recovery product.

When looking it feels like a minefield.

Think cardio
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Tuna sandwich, beans on toast, chocolate milkshake, etc, your larder probably already has everything you need.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    You don't really need anything special. I eat a couple of boiled eggs after a ride. They have protein in.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    I have some cheap, basic whey protein which I add to milk and a bit of chocolate powder.
    I don't use it every ride, but if I've had a heavy week and a hard session then I'll use some - maybe once a week.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Been having a post-ride glass of chocolate milk for a while now.

Absolutely no idea if it makes any difference but it certainly slips down nicely and can be drank straight from the fridge without any preparation required.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Pint of milk is pretty good as it will rehydrate and give you a bit of protein.
    I like to make it a bit more interesting and add some carbs by blitzing it with a banana, some honey and peanut butter.
    You could also chuck in some whey protein as well if you've been doing high intensity stuff and think you need something to repair damaged muscle.
  • I think general wisdom is a mix of protein and carbs (high GI is fine) to enable the body to replenish glycogen stores and start the recovery process.

The likes of MyProtein/Protein works etc sell ready made powders, but like said above you almost certainly have everything you need already.
  • w1lz
    w1lz Posts: 37
    Hi Guys thanks for responses, the my protein whey option sounds decent for long rides and then just supplements of real food after shorter sounds good! May look at chocolate milk/ choc soy milk too! Thanks, any other info or suggestions welcome..!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Milkshake in summer. Hot choc in winter. Sorted.
  • sh-g
    sh-g Posts: 30
    w1lz wrote:
    Hi guys,

So I'm relatively new to road cycling and until now I havnt used any form of protein recovery drinks. Recently i have been upping the tempo and length of my training sessions and feel I now could do with some form of recovery product.

When looking it feels like a minefield. I'm very interested in the brand 'myprotein' as it seems cheap and has relatively good reviews but there are so many options. My friend who is a runner has a mix of whey protein and oat something?! He says his bio science friend told him it was perfect for recovery and much cheaper than the recovery specific shakes.

So I basically would like to know what do you do?

What's best on a budget?

And what does a cyclist need in terms of protein etc?

Also any experience with the above brand?

Any help would be great!!

Thanks

Don't waste your money on buying drinks. Here's a great recovery drink which gives you the correct balance nutrition you need after a ride.

• 600ml Melk
    • 125gr. Plain Greek Yoghourt
    • 1 Banana
    • Honey to taste
    • Blend well
    = 1 part fat, 2 parts protein and 3 parts carbohydrates

ENJOY :D
  • Banana sandwich and a large glass of milk
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Had a superb black pudding scotch egg from my local butcher's shop immediately after my ride on Saturday. Excellent recovery food I reckon!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    I recently bought one of these selection boxes from MP, though currently out of stock.

https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/mp-selects-protein-box/11177708.html

Quite a few duffers in there, pretty much all of them are VERY sweet, although less so if you just use water instead of milk, but it's an interesting experiment for not much outlay, and pretty convenient, when combined with a £1.76 shaker bottle from Wiggle.
    IMG_5020-copyA.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

I only use it after a properly hard ride\workout.

My gf has been trying them as well, and I suspect if we both find one flavour we like, we'll order a bigger bag.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • YoshiK1
    YoshiK1 Posts: 7
    One thing I would recommend is a foam roller. It's not very nice to eat but you're not supposed to eat them anyway. Excellent for rolling out the muscles to increase blood flow etc for repair. It's painful to use but you feel relaxed afterwards. I did my first cycle in a year or so of about 11 miles the other weekend and I foam rolled and didn't have much pain if any in my legs.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Nesquick for me. 2:1 carbs:protein with semi skimmed milk which is supposed to be a good ratio. I only really notice it being needed after very hard workouts when I am trying to lose weight i.e., not eating as much as usual.

Sometimes blend a banana and some peanut butter (the raw stuff which is just mashed up peanuts) into it, but I've rarely been thin enough to justify all the extra calories...
  • Anything plant based for me. Fast recovery, no aches and pains after daily runs or rides.