Split Links for 11 speed

trivial_poursuivant
trivial_poursuivant Posts: 1,136
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Hey everyone.

First post on here. I am looking for an 11 speed chain link and just need some clarification. I have looked at getting some KMC links which I understand are not reusable unlike the 10sp versions. I have also read people saying they have managed to reopen and reuse them but I am not convinced if this is the case and if only a certain brand can be used. Can anyone clear this up for me? Many thanks.

Comments

• No 11 speed links are not re-usable - but - some people do. Personally I dont cause I dont think KMC (the brand I use) would lie about it just to sell more links. Some have posted on here though that they reuse KMC ones.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Wippermann Connex 11sp links can be reused... But finding them for £sensible is hard work.
  • Wippermann Connex 11sp links can be reused... But finding them for £sensible is hard work.

I see you get one with a chain according to CRC. Think I may get one complete. New chain on a new bike seems best time to do it. Many thanks
  • Do yourself a favour and get one of those quick link pliers thingies too. Makes it far easier removing the things...
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    It's not to sell more links. It's to cover their arse in case of a lawsuit in all likelihood.

I have re-used my current 11spd KMC quicks more than 10 times. It hasnt failed yet.

Use the correct pliers. Dont force them open or closed too fast. Do it slowly so not to wear down the little tabs.