Bike size

Veddy
Veddy Posts: 29
edited March 2017 in MTB general
I have a 19" bike with 27.5 inch wheels and I am 5'6. My inner leg height is 29 inches to my ankle or 31 to the floor. I know my bike is too big but is it a HUGE deal? I feel comfortable riding but I can only just place both my toes on the floor when sitting down on the saddle at the lowest position. I was thinking about cutting the seatpost down so I can lower it more as there is about another 3 inches of post left before if hits the seat tube. I have about an inch of clearance when standing over the top tube. When I pedal I have a slight bend in my knee when I am at the lowest crank position so the pedalling position is fine. I'm in my teens so I'm still growing but is it a big deal that the bike is that big right now?

Comments

• snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    The moral of the story is try before you buy!
  • I'd say yours is the best case scenario. If you've still got some growing to do, it's better to have a slightly larger bike. Assuming you grow tall enough, that is.
  • Veddy
    Veddy Posts: 29
    I'd say yours is the best case scenario. If you've still got some growing to do, it's better to have a slightly larger bike. Assuming you grow tall enough, that is.
    My family has lot 5"10s and 6 footer so hopefully it carries on to me :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Putting your feet in the floor while sitting on the saddle only teslls you the saddle is too low, as your leg should be near enough straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke that will leave it about 5" off the floor.

On none of my correctly sized bikes can I touch the floor when sitting on the saddle so don't destroy the frame just to achieve that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jeremy1
    jeremy1 Posts: 71
    Thank you the rookie that puts my mind at ease too about my bike