anyone need a new front SKS chromosplastic mudguard who has a spare rear one?

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited March 2017 in Commuting chat
I've just broken a second rear SKS chromoplastic rear mudguard. I have a spare brand new front one. Anyone, preferably in East Anglia somewhere, like to swap a rear one (used or new, just the black plastic needed) for a brand new front one with with all its fittings, maybe? Unlikely, but you never know.

It's amazing how easy they crack -- once there's a rattle, something loose. So warning: As soon as there's a rattle, something loose, stop, fix it, don't carry on, otherwise it'll crack and break in two.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I reckon you're on a fruitless errand there; as you've discovered it's usually the rear that breaks. You could try emailing SKS to see if they supply the thing as a spare part?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    ben----- wrote:
    I've just broken a second rear SKS chromoplastic rear mudguard. I have a spare brand new front one. Anyone, preferably in East Anglia somewhere, like to swap a rear one (used or new, just the black plastic needed) for a brand new front one with with all its fittings, maybe? Unlikely, but you never know.

It's amazing how easy they crack -- once there's a rattle, something loose. So warning: As soon as there's a rattle, something loose, stop, fix it, don't carry on, otherwise it'll crack and break in two.

Send them an email. They sent me a new set when I took a picture of where it snapped (just below the metal bracket)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ben-----
    keef66 wrote:
    I reckon you're on a fruitless errand there; as you've discovered it's usually the rear that breaks. You could try emailing SKS to see if they supply the thing as a spare part?

Right, I wasn't sure, but makes sense. Oh well, worth an ask. Yup, might do that.
  • ben-----
    dhope wrote:
    Send them an email. They sent me a new set when I took a picture of where it snapped (just below the metal bracket)

SKS is that? This second set was supplied by Chain Reaction, which is where I bought them, because the first one broke and I complained. But I could try SKS now on this one. Think I'll give that a go. Thanks.
  • ben-----
    Have just sent message and photo to SKS. Fingers crossed. Thanks.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I'll take the pop offs if you dont have any luck.....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • ben-----
    Just for the record, SKS are sending a replacement :) So that's good. I shall be super careful; soon as any rattling occurs, stop and fix. Or not carry on. It seems to be guaranteed that it'll break once something's loose. Twice that's happened to me now, you'd have thought I'd have learnt the first time.
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    I annoyingly lost my rear mudguard in a house move. Don't really want to buy a whole set, oh well.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Joshgav wrote:
    I annoyingly lost my rear mudguard in a house move. Don't really want to buy a whole set, oh well.

Well if you want to get rid of the front to help cushion the blow....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills