Interview advice

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited March 2017 in The cake stop
So I believe I am in the running for a job with a prestigious car company, The role initially involves logistics so quite a bit of company car driving.

I wear glasses as I have a slight prescription (-3 in each eye). To that end I don't want to give anyone on the interview suspicion to believe that I have poor vision (as it involves driving expensive company cars) would it be better to wear contact lenses on my interview ? Or should I stick with glasses - Some people believe it makes you look more intelligent ?

I know I can't be fired for wearing glasses so if I got the role I would switch back to glasses after I signed the contract.

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    To me that's a non-issue - I wouldn't have even thought about it. If your vision, when corrected, is suitable for driving then that's the end of it. They let fighter pilots wear glasses, so a piffling little car should be no problem!

At the interview, wear whatever makes you most comfortable (physically and psychologically).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just don't arrive obviously drunk.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Thanks - I will stick to the specs then as I find contacts a pain - Also the missus reckons I look slick with the glasses which can't hurt!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Not sure who it is your interview is with, but I worked for a very prestigious car dealer group and I think all of the drivers wore glasses. Most of them were around retirement age. I think all the cars were worth 6 figure sums and they wanted drivers that appeared sensible and respectable.
    I'd add to CD's comment not obviously drunk or hungover.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    The question will be on your medical form if its a driving job anyway.

I always refer to this when going for job interviews - works a treat down my neck of the woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwDmg74rhCw
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Not sure who it is your interview is with, but I worked for a very prestigious car dealer group and I think all of the drivers wore glasses. Most of them were around retirement age. I think all the cars were worth 6 figure sums and they wanted drivers that appeared sensible and respectable.
    I'd add to CD's comment not obviously drunk or hungover.

I was going to say, more than likely the guys/ladies interviewing you or currently doing the same job will be wearing glasses too. I do ~40k miles a year in a company car, occasionally it comes up in our operations meetings to get our eyes tested, from their point of view it is dealt with.

I doubt it would come up in an interview but if you want to come across concerned about driving risks you could ask them what their policy on hours driving or phones/driving are? They'll most likely say hands-free kit only (while it's within the law) but it shows you are considerate.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    don't forget to turn your phone off!