30 mile Race strategy

Exumanewbie
Exumanewbie Posts: 48
edited March 2017 in Road beginners
I have been cycling for 8 months and did 4 four races last year. The first race of the year is on Sunday and i feel that Ive done all that i can training wise (intervals, hill reps, tapering, carb loading) to prepare for it. Because cycling isnt a big sport in the country I live in the have one race for all categories. I would probably be considered a Cat 5 while most of my competitors at Cat32&1. So I literally have no chance of winning what will be a very fast race. Would it make sense to try and go with a break to try for one of the 5 sprint prizes on offer so that i can at least reap some kind of reward from my months of suffering?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Impossible for anyone to answer, because we have no idea of your fitness level, previous training or past performances. Try posting in the amateur race forum maybe, although I doubt if anyone there will be able to answer your question either, for the same reasons.
  • Get in the break and suffer for as long as you can!
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Aim to finish!

Like you say there's no chance your winning, so set out to get as best a performance you can, then you have something to improve on.

If you do set off too fast stick with a group until you get chucked out the back and then ride steady until the next largeish group comes along and stick with them, repeat until the last couple of miles and then go for it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you're out of your depth fitness wise just ride cleverly. Do not put your nose in the wind ever. Just ride the wheels and aim to finish in the bunch. Be prepared to be flat out just to hold a wheel but most of the race should be manageable.

Going off for sprints is a suicidal move.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    If you're good enough to get in the break, you're good enough. If you think you're out of your depth, I doubt you'll be able to win a sprint or chip off the front. Try and sit in the wheels and hang on as long as you can perhaps?
  • Thanks guys. This was the first race that I actually enjoyed. Sure there was some suffering but it was manageable. I was feeling strong and attacked up hill a mile from the finish since my sprint is subpar. I finished 12th out of 22 overall and 1 out of 6 in my category. I think if I didn't attack I may have had a higher placing amongst the senior guys. Overall I'm happy with my performance and I'm excited over the progress I've made in 8 months.
  • dhungerf
    dhungerf Posts: 65
    What would Jens do?
    Start
    Go Fast
    Faster
    Attack
    Attack
    More!
    Finish