Photography Thread

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Pinno wrote:
    @ Ben. Yep, Gamla stan. I have some pics of that very steeple from an adjacent alleyway. It's such a photogenic area. Unfortunately, they are in the old format and I really ought to try and scan them and get them on to the computer*. I also have some shots of the tall, white sailing ships.
    *Anyone tried this with some success?

By 'old format' do you mean transparency or print? (or daguerreotype :D )
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    Pinno wrote:
    I had a scanner and scanned all my "keeper" slides and negatives. A very laborious procedure.
    I now simply photograph the prints. That is quicker, needs less hardware, and is good "enough".
    Depends on your quality requirements.
    ...but at the same time I think you increase your chance of 'luck' if you train yourself to look for those 'lucky shots' and are ready to stop and shoot when you see one...
    I find that photography has opened my eyes to what is around me. I am convinced that most people walk around blind.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I find that photography has opened my eyes to what is around me. I am convinced that most people walk around blind.
    I happen to spend quite a lot of time in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, and keeping my photographer's eye on call both helps me remember just how beautiful it is and to look out for the hidden beauties in the 'mundane' that might be overshadowed by the more obvious photographs.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    rjsterry wrote:
    timmyturbo wrote:
    wrong pic in quote (:
    Thanks. It was definitely a lucky shot - taken through the windscreen as we drove down the road. 5 minutes later and the sun had gone and the fog closed in.
    Most of my better shots I think are 'lucky', but at the same time I think you increase your chance of 'luck' if you train yourself to look for those 'lucky shots' and are ready to stop and shoot when you see one, especially staying alert in less likely places (the familiar, the 'hmdrum', etc.) Having a camera on the phone always in the back pocket is a boon in this respect.
    Absolutely. Some of my better shots have been been from pulling over half way home from work or out of the kitchen window. For me, the biggest benefit of digital is the ability to fire off 20 or 30 shots, bin all but two and move on.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I happen to spend quite a lot of time in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, and keeping my photographer's eye on call both helps me remember just how beautiful it is and to look out for the hidden beauties in the 'mundane' that might be overshadowed by the more obvious photographs.

My little Sony is ideal for the back pocket but hasn't nearly got the resolution of my big Sony, so I don't tend to take it on my bike rides. It's all about the light isn't it?
    Like my local sea Loch - Loch Ryan. Quite mediocre for 360 days a year, on the other 5 you may get a stunning sunset on a breathless mirror sea or it's churning up like a washing machine.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    @ Ben. Yep, Gamla stan. I have some pics of that very steeple from an adjacent alleyway. It's such a photogenic area. Unfortunately, they are in the old format and I really ought to try and scan them and get them on to the computer*. I also have some shots of the tall, white sailing ships.
    I loved Gamla stan. Spent a lot of time in Stockholm.

It's a nice city. I prefer Södermalm though.

As for old format, I believe some of narbs' photos from upthread were originally old format?

They were! I get my films developed and scanned by filmdev - I get the original TIFF files via download and the negs back in the post.

Currently got 4 film cameras on the go - Nikon FE which is my main one, (yet another) Olympus Trip in my continuing attempt to find a fully functioning one, a Nikon L35AF which I bought a couple of weeks ago and an Olympus XA2 which I can chuck in my jersey pocket when riding.

The FE gets a selection of Portra, Ektar and Fuji Pro 400H, the others get Poundland Special :D
  • briantrumpet
    Pinno wrote:
    My little Sony is ideal for the back pocket but hasn't nearly got the resolution of my big Sony, so I don't tend to take it on my bike rides. It's all about the light isn't it?
    These days it's mostly just the phone in the back pocket, though if I want a proper zoom shot or hi-res image for a large print, my Sony HX50 goes in the jersey pocket. And yes, the light is what it's all about. Here's an evening when I wasn't going to stop at this viewpoint again... but then I looked...

DSC01899.20141024blog.jpg
  • briantrumpet
    Yes, sometimes you do get a bit of help from the light, indeed.

wp-1469992345907.jpg
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If anyone is passing through Putney tomorrow night (Thursday 2nd) a mate of mine is doing a Q&A at The Dynamo café around his recent photography book. Should be interesting.

https://www.michaelblann.com/product/book/
    http://www.the-dynamo.co.uk/
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • narbs
    Asprilla wrote:
    If anyone is passing through Putney tomorrow night (Thursday 2nd) a mate of mine is doing a Q&A at The Dynamo café around his recent photography book. Should be interesting.

https://www.michaelblann.com/product/book/
    http://www.the-dynamo.co.uk/

I missed his evening at the Rapha cafe last year unfortunately.

Definitely my favourite photography book of last year - just wish I could afford one of the prints!

The short film he made about making the book is well worth watching.
    https://vimeo.com/182998392
  • narbs
    Pinno wrote:
    These days it's mostly just the phone in the back pocket, though if I want a proper zoom shot or hi-res image for a large print, my Sony HX50 goes in the jersey pocket. And yes, the light is what it's all about. Here's an evening when I wasn't going to stop at this viewpoint again... but then I looked...

DSC01899.20141024blog.jpg

Beautiful Brian!
  • briantrumpet
    narbs wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Beautiful Brian!
    Location, location, location... and light. Oh, and the camera in the back pocket.
  • rjsterry
    narbs wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Beautiful Brian!
    Location, location, location... and light. Oh, and the camera in the back pocket.
    And an eye for composition. It's perfectly possible to take a bad (or at least not very good) photograph even with that kind of scenery and cloudless sky with a little mist to add depth.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry wrote:
    narbs wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Beautiful Brian!
    And an eye for composition. It's perfectly possible to take a bad (or at least not very good) photograph even with that kind of scenery and cloudless sky with a little mist to add depth.
    Yes, true. A good bit of advice to me from an expert was the mistake that most people make is to look at the 'subject', rather than shapes & light etc. (i.e., the composition).
  • team47b
    "Size, position, colour and form are the suck, bang, squeeze, blow of the composition world"

Quote from the book on visual communication that I never quite get round to writing :D
  • pinno
    I beg to differ sir, it's 'suck, squeeze, bang, blow'.
  • team47b
    Pinno wrote:
    I beg to differ sir, it's 'suck, squeeze, bang, blow'.

What you get up to in your spare time is your business and has no place in cake stop :D
  • pblakeney
    Something slightly different.

360.jpg
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    Can't decide whether this has worked or is complete garbage.

NxUK1tvTo4LyXEieEhYEwAvk70gQHpxpqcyGZfzL5xY66H-8Be5gEn4Jpp1N3rScgOGHgY2FTCufebJgdZP89dVE0fTr-ezTbEJVla6_Jdkf0zLqn_mNVud11HzwEgZcBZ9u7G37XV023oKMQCdq9KB3RR-9Khnnx3mizSU8_KOlE_VeJ--ZnVK66UHHvD7ufyN1g1KMrGmw0w7kknBLkWXH0gr1GN0WDjueHnP73aB4iSZD1_L9eWihMITh-pcqt22QFB8flOgRusCtCnxeCwAHtRfH0Ws35huOjpLDDclXo7IZSo36jZXC5j34pWUIOHwLc31nD1mrR1rcKsy1sEsKxzZWIOR6JRnsHPoUdm2K2vU13LBlJQMTOc3-BHBh6k5dnKHTHGIsUn-tOtiwi8cscP-z7uiiFIjCX_q1Ua5JZwK28wZe24gfpBT2MjbpSczrzHlxwu00LEDUn0Ayf-hKYypvdVMIdJ1fURps_T4M6Wk9RLvknpPwGgpk2h8xIvwRIaDck5GdgSB9tDjiBlb0H4GDfbOju4JBFaJ6CaU9fqZE7_IBqZp6FyqOOp1mWQhxo4im9LZm=s1332-w974-h1332-no
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    rjsterry wrote:
    Can't decide whether this has worked or is complete garbage.

NxUK1tvTo4LyXEieEhYEwAvk70gQHpxpqcyGZfzL5xY66H-8Be5gEn4Jpp1N3rScgOGHgY2FTCufebJgdZP89dVE0fTr-ezTbEJVla6_Jdkf0zLqn_mNVud11HzwEgZcBZ9u7G37XV023oKMQCdq9KB3RR-9Khnnx3mizSU8_KOlE_VeJ--ZnVK66UHHvD7ufyN1g1KMrGmw0w7kknBLkWXH0gr1GN0WDjueHnP73aB4iSZD1_L9eWihMITh-pcqt22QFB8flOgRusCtCnxeCwAHtRfH0Ws35huOjpLDDclXo7IZSo36jZXC5j34pWUIOHwLc31nD1mrR1rcKsy1sEsKxzZWIOR6JRnsHPoUdm2K2vU13LBlJQMTOc3-BHBh6k5dnKHTHGIsUn-tOtiwi8cscP-z7uiiFIjCX_q1Ua5JZwK28wZe24gfpBT2MjbpSczrzHlxwu00LEDUn0Ayf-hKYypvdVMIdJ1fURps_T4M6Wk9RLvknpPwGgpk2h8xIvwRIaDck5GdgSB9tDjiBlb0H4GDfbOju4JBFaJ6CaU9fqZE7_IBqZp6FyqOOp1mWQhxo4im9LZm=s1332-w974-h1332-no

Worse than Blakey's?! I can't see it TBH :wink:
  • rjsterry
    I have a feeling garbage is the correct answer. Nothing ventured... It was quite dramatic in real life: the unusual angle, the late afternoon sun catching the tops of the buildings opposite with a stormy sky behind and a faint rainbow over the top. I'd intended the stairs and window to frame it, but I think they actually distract.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    Pinno wrote:
    Worse than Blakey's?
    I was curious what the response would be. Taken by my 3 year old granddaughter.
    Compared to a few art exhibitions I have seen, she may have a more artistic eye than me.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    edited March 2017
    rjsterry wrote:
    I have a feeling garbage is the correct answer. Nothing ventured... It was quite dramatic in real life: the unusual angle, the late afternoon sun catching the tops of the buildings opposite with a stormy sky behind and a faint rainbow over the top. I'd intended the stairs and window to frame it, but I think they actually distract.
    All I can see is a blank grey rectangle with a 'No Entry' sign in the middle. Are you sure you didn't have the lens cap on?
  • pinno
    It sounds good and if I close my eyes I could picture it (I think)... Still can't see it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    All I can see is a blank grey rectangle with a 'No Entry' sign in the middle. Are you sure you didn't have the lens cap on?
    Genuinely confused as to where you see the no entry sign.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Pinno wrote:
    It sounds good and if I close my eyes I could picture it (I think)... Still can't see it.
    A case of projecting what I thought I saw onto my (crap) photo.

One thing this also demonstrates is that for all the convenience of a phone camera, the lack of a proper viewfinder is quite a loss.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Genuinely confused as to where you see the no entry sign.
    capture.png?w=730
  • pinno
    Typical. BT gets a no entry sign and all I get is.[Image].
  • briantrumpet
    Pinno wrote:
    Even more exciting, when I right click on the no entry sign, and "view image", I still get to see the no entry sign, but bigger! :)
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    Even more exciting, when I right click on the no entry sign, and "view image", I still get to see the no entry sign, but bigger! :)

Rub it in why don't you. :roll: