Beginner and Mudguards

Happy Jack
Happy Jack Posts: 19
edited March 2017 in MTB beginners
New to this Mountain Bike game. Not cycled properly for 30 odd years but recently weight has gone up and fitness levels have dropped so thought of cycling to get me trim sand fit again. I live near a canal and the Middlewood Way which is an old railway turned bridle path so most of my time will be off road and on those. Decided on a Calibre Two Two based on reviews and a try of a few others.

First ride was a nightmare the canal path was full of hawthorn branches so a 5 mile ride and two punctures (one I changed) resulted in a 5 mile walk pushing a bike. Slime Tube seems to have done the trick though.

Had a great ride today 10 miles it was very muddy and slippery but great fun.

Can anyone recommend a rear mudguard which doesn’t fix on the seat post. Tried a Crud urban but it doesn’t work well with my under saddle bag and It feels a bit cumbersome when moving the bike around.

I took it off today and not only do I have a bum like a baboons it is also wet and muddy so either new bag or new mudguard

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Beavertail XL?

IMG_20170113_171700_zpsflu3b8e9.jpg
  • Mudguards and MTB are a hit and miss science. Sometimes they work, sometimes they seem to work and then you take them off and don't notice any difference. The thicker your tires, the more problematic it is to get a working mudguard solution.
    Your options depend on the clearance you have. ¨

Me, personally? I just have a small front neoprene thingy that prevents dirt and water from being sprayed right into my face. As for the rear, well, I focus on not worrying about it ;)
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I sort of think the same way that limitedgary does. I've got an old jacket and track suit which goes on and comes off at the back door, is filthy and gets washed once a month. I hope you enjoy your resurgent interest in biking.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • also depends on the design of the bike & guard too if bag/guard fitting on the seatpost is an issue.

if your lucky like i was with a bike that had similar issues between bag & guard on the seatpost then you may be able to fit the guard to the seatstay instead of the seatpost - i was lucky when fitting a RC11 rear road guard to my CX as the seatstays merged to a single tube above the wheel so i stapped the guard there instead of the seattube ( not meant for the job but works pretty well considering the tyres are way bigger than its meant for lol - dont notice much front end trouble as the downtube is wide & catches most of the crud from the front. )

BUT on the other hand, i have massive trouble when i use the fatbike on damp/muddy tracks ( tis lovely when going slow through the mud & crud but as soon as that section ends & the pace increases then all hell breaks loose as the tyres shed the mud & crud - as the tyres are MUCH fatter than the frame is then you get caked in mud front & back - as do the folks following you too lol ( impressive hight/distance can be obtained by the ejected mud clumps too if the pace is high enough too as the cars found out that were following me close after a muddy track ended at the road, they soon dropped back as the shedding began :D - both me & the bike needed the pressure washer to get the worst off that day )
  • BUT on the other hand, i have massive trouble when i use the fatbike on damp/muddy tracks

You know there are mudguards for fatties, right? Or are they ineffective?

• You know there are mudguards for fatties, right? Or are they ineffective?

I hope you are referring to a bike - I know I said I had put on weight but no need to be rude :lol::lol::lol:
  • Thanks guys

I will have a look at the Beavertail but I don't think the frame has a hole in seat posts.
  • i hate mud & I hate mudguards, I compromise with these front & rear; they don't keep everything off but do improve things without spoiling the looks of the bike.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/rapidracerproducts-enduroguard/
  • bluemoon81 wrote:

they look awesome! sadly I use a saddlebag :(
  • Zefal No Mud?

zefal-no-mud-mudguard-EV170415-9999-1.jpg

7MrSnrZwxxgraxDq6
  • BUT on the other hand, i have massive trouble when i use the fatbike on damp/muddy tracks

You know there are mudguards for fatties, right? Or are they ineffective?

dont know if they are effective or not, not got any or looked for any for the fatty

only have guards on the bikes i use for commuting as they are helpful then ( the cx & 29er have guards ( well only 1 on the CX ) as they are/were backup commuter bikes at various times last year & i am too lazy to remove the guards as yet lol

only guards i have on the bikes normally are the enduroguards i have on the full sus for help keeping the rear shock & pikes stantions cleaner for longer & that they do nicely - probably the only guard my next fatty may see will be a front enduroguard if they make one in such size as the next fatty will have a bluto.

basically i prefer to avoid large amounts of mud than have mudguards normally but on the occasions i find mud unavoidable then i am more concerned with the state of the bike by the end of the ride then i am about the state of me as i hose down easier than the bikes do :lol: ( the mudguards dont really help keep the bike clean anyway so why bother with em most of the time )
  • Well I was wondering if you realised that Mucky Nutz and Mudhugger do fat bike guards. Probably other companies also do.
  • i do now :)

as i say, not really looked for guards for the fatty as yet as i dont commute on it - i'm far to unfit to be using that on the commute just yet as its heavyish & hell of alot of rolling resistance at the comfy tyre pressures & thus u get to work soaked through from sweat, not a good start to the workday lol
  • Unless the goards cover even the side of the wheel near seatpost tube, they're not helping you keep the bike cleaner. Sure, you may not get as much mud on yourself (assuming the budguard works fine) but you're still getting lot of grit into your drivetrain.
  • Tacx also make a saddle bag that fits onto the same clamp underneath the mudguard
  • Just installed an Ass Saver on the back, will see how I get on Saturday

Got one of the small mucky ones at the front (can't remember the exact name, but they are very popular)
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    When they were new I decided to order a Muckynutz front guard and called the number on the ad.

As the phone picked up I had not constructed an introduction and so said - 'Is that Muckynutz' - she put the phone down on me!

:oops:
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Thanks for all the suggestions.

In the end the Crud Urban went back on and I got a different bag :roll:
  • apcmtb
    apcmtb Posts: 53
    Happy Jack wrote:

First ride was a nightmare the canal path was full of hawthorn branches so a 5 mile ride and two punctures (one I changed) resulted in a 5 mile walk pushing a bike. Slime Tube seems to have done the trick though.

You are literally around the corner from me :)

Had this many a time, tried the slime stuff to varying degrees.....found the easiest solution to be keep one of the old tubes, cut the valve off (bigger tyres help here), check for any additional puncturing nasties, then line the tyre with the old tube and hey ho you have ready made puncture layer.
    Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all
  • apcmtb wrote:
    Happy Jack wrote:

You are literally around the corner from me :)

Had this many a time, tried the slime stuff to varying degrees.....found the easiest solution to be keep one of the old tubes, cut the valve off (bigger tyres help here), check for any additional puncturing nasties, then line the tyre with the old tube and hey ho you have ready made puncture layer.

Slimed my tubes in the end and it did the trick until last week when I had a proper puncture. Inch gash in the tyre.

Whereabouts are you?
  • apcmtb
    I'm just off the A6 in Hazel grove
  • apcmtb wrote:
    I'm just off the A6 in Hazel grove

Just off the A6 in High Lane!

Where do you ride?
  • apcmtb
    Funnily enough, I'm just back to MTBing after a 6 year break, so visiting some old routes to try and get some fitness back, so Middlewood, Roman lakes, Marple (canal)
  • We could get together sometime if you like

I ride from home to Marple and then up to Macc and back home following the Canal / Middlewood Way quite often - about 20 miles. Not so good on hills yet plus have knackered knees :roll:
  • apcmtb
    Yeah that'd be good.

Sounds like a similar situation, took an enforced break due to a back operation
  • Excellent - I am busy this weekend but certainly would be up for something local and easy to start with. If you see a fat bloke on a Calibre Two Two it is probably me!
  • apcmtb
    Likewise this weekend, but definitely up for a meet at some point, if you see a white specialized with a particularly upright position, that'll be me.

I'll PM you