Open pro - tubeless conversion?

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Interweb forum,

anyone know if i can convert open pro rims to tubeless?

If so how?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• Difficult, not impossible. The eyelets make sealing the rim bed more problematic. If you wantto use high pressure, I would rather look out for a proper tubeless rim, to avoid disappointments
    left the forum March 2023
  • rubertoe
    Thats what i was thinking - Might be looking at a new build. Or Factory.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• Velocity A 23 have the same ERD as Open PRO, it's a straight swap, keeping the same spokes, if you have access to cheap (or free!) labour.
  • I did the conversion on some Open Pros with Stan's yellow tape, tubeless valves and sealant. Ran Hutchinson Intensives on them for two years. You'll need to be quite determined 'cos it's rather a pain and I needed a compressor to inflate the tyres. All in all, not something I'd recommend, and certainly one to avoid if you're new to tubeless. Mine have languished in a corner, unused and unloved, for a few years now.

The tubeless system works really well when you use Road Tubeless certified tyres and wheels. No need for sealant, inflate with a track pump, tyre stays on rim when flat. I use Shimano RS61 and Ultegra and Easton EA90. True, you can't rebuild them but RS61s wheels can be found cheaper than Open Pro rims alone.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    why on earth would you want to run tubeless tyres without sealant. Even with proper tubeless tyres with a butyl lining and proper tubeless rims like stans, Pacenti, Kinlin e.t.c you cannot always infate the tyre with out sealant with a track pump. Once the tyre is inflate and the bead locked in place (compressor) it will hold air without leaking if selant is not used. That is what proper tubeless allows but the moment you get a puncture you have to stop and add sealant.

Use sealant and you can ensure hassle free inital inflation and punctures that self heal.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • why on earth would you want to run tubeless tyres without sealant. .. ?
    Because I don't sealant in my wheels when I don't need it. I don't run sealant in my car or my motor bike so why should I put it in my bicycle?

Punctures you say. Well in 7 years on tubeless, perhaps 30,000 miles, I have had two flats and in both cases sealant was no use. One where a 6-inch nail went in thru the tread and out the sidewall. Tread hole might have sealed but the sidewall was punched out. The other was when the tyre split over about two inches down the centre line (even tubeless tyres wear out :oops: ). Both times I rode home on the flat, over 20 miles in one case; slow but better than phoning the wife.

Now this is not to say I only suffered two punctures. Far from it. But in all cases I completed my ride, got home, put the bike away and noticed the tyre was a bit soft the next day. So I pulled out the thorn, stuck a patch inside the tyre and good to go. No messy sealant everywhere. I do carry a little bottle of sealant with me - just in case - and I don't carry a spare tube. My little bottle is full with a minimum air gap so the sealant stays fresh longer and I can easily check it and refresh if it starts to go off. Yes, maybe one day I will have to stop and put some sealant in to get me home. But, based on my average, it's unlikely to be this year.

And I would reiterate that I have always been able to inflate Road Tubeless tyres on Road Tubeless wheels using a track pump. No problem.

Stan's, Pacenti et al are rims you can run tubeless on, they are not Road Tubeless certified. Use them if they meet your requirements. I don't want the hassle.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    stanthomas wrote:

Stan's, Pacenti et al are rims you can run tubeless on, they are not Road Tubeless certified. Use them if they meet your requirements. I don't want the hassle.

Agree... I have a pair of UST rims (Mavic XM 819) and although I do use sealant, it is not necessary for the tyre to seal onto the rim
  • rubertoe
    Arent you in my area now Ugo?

• ugo.santalucia
    rubertoe wrote:

West Midlands... near exit 5 of the M42
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe wrote:

M40 - near junction 15.....

• ugo.santalucia
    rubertoe wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

M40 - near junction 15.....

Close enough... drop me a line and we can work something out. I don't do "fancy wheels" anymore and I don't take money
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    He takes your first born child instead
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Stans thomas you must be charmed or live in an area which no sharp stuff on the road. Car tyres are abit more sustanstial than road tubeless tyres so the comparison is not fair. If you live in area with lots of flint like i do then sealant is essential or you will be walking at some point and i am using proper tubeless tyres than dont require sealant as well.

Having done a few non tubeless rim to tubeless tyre conversions whether it will work or not will depend how tight thetyrefitting is. I would get some gorrila tape to build up the rim a bit before fitting the tyre. The tyre though may unseat at very low pressure so if you leave them standing for a few weeks you may have to reseat the tyre which would be a pain.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rubertoe
    itboffin wrote:
    He takes your first born child instead

Good, I'm looking to off load one. Means i can set up the turbo in his room rather than in the kitchen