New mini pump

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited February 2017 in Commuting general
After a visit from the fairy last night I found my tried and trusted Topeak Mini pump (it is about 15 years old) had died (thankfully a work colleague lent me his) so I'm in the market for a new one.

Considering the Lezyne Sport drive HP or HP drive pump - medium (both on decent offer at CRC).

Thoughts or comments appreciated!
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• The Rookie
    Seems like the valving part has died as there is no pumping when closing it and it sometimes sucks and sometimes blows when extending it!

Fancy something different and a bit lighter and sexier, either of the two above can be had for less than £17.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Then how about a Sapo BJ-RO?

105mm long - https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/sapo-bjro-hand-pump
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Then how about a Sapo BJ-RO?

105mm long - https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/sapo-bjro-hand-pump

Was looking at these, marginalgains, but not seen any reviews.
  • The Rookie
    Look nice, be a bit concerned about the pump volume (strokes to fill a tyre), can't find a review.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    The lezyne does work.
  • Ristac
    Ristac Posts: 1
    I carry this one around with me which I got on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Look nice, be a bit concerned about the pump volume (strokes to fill a tyre), can't find a review.

On the basis that I won't be using it very often (at all, I hope) that's a consideration low on my list. It gets there, maybe not the quickest but enough to get me home to the track pump :)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got one of the Lezynes but I was never able to get it off the valve without letting all the air out again. As soon as I started unscrewing it, it would start to leak air making it pretty pointless.

i'm sure it was user error, but I couldn't figure out where I was going wrong.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The Rookie
    Oh well Lezyne was ordered Friday as my MTB pump struggles to get a tyre past 40psi I couldn't wait to long.

As for speed, I want to keep a repair time down so I'm not to late for work if it happens in the morning!
  • I like the lezyne hp drive but I, along with many other users if you read the reviews, have had problems with undoing the hose without unscrewing the valve core. I don't nip it up proper tight anymore to try and avoid this.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The Rookie wrote:
    Oh well Lezyne was ordered Friday as my MTB pump struggles to get a tyre past 40psi I couldn't wait to long.

As for speed, I want to keep a repair time down so I'm not to late for work if it happens in the morning!

You could always use CO2, but then you run the risk of the trigger freezing to the valve core and removing it as you remove the CO2. As happened to me this morning.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The Rookie
    Ouch.....I carry CO2 on the MTB not on the commute, for ultimate speed I'd just carry a mouse can!
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I'm a big fan of the toppeak mini morph, had mine just over a year now without any problems ( and too many visitations to mention)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • I'm a big fan of the toppeak mini morph, had mine just over a year now without any problems ( and too many visitations to mention)

I bought that (mini morph) since took my bike on holiday and though it would be more portable than a track pump but better than the mini pumps I have.

It did pump up the tyres when assembling the bike after the bike box, but refused to to seal on the valve a few days later, i.e. It let down the tyres rather than allowing one to pump, well you could pump but result was the same.

I gave up a few days later and bought a gauge and used that with the mini pump, which if slow worked.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I first returned to road riding I spoiled myself and bought a Topeak Road Morph-G. Fantastic little thing like a mini track pump with a flexible hose and a tiny inline gauge. Good for over 100 psi. (So good I didn't bother buying a track pump for home use for over a year) Bit big for a jersey pocket so I use the frame fit bracket / strap it came with; only downside is it takes the place of a bottle cage, but that's not a problem on the winter bike as I rarely drink more than one and / or I have a cafe stop.

Then when I got an N+1 carbon summer bike I went for the cheapest of the Lezyne HP mini pumps. It has a flexible screw-on hose but with a pressure release valve to make removal easier. Takes longer and is harder work, but it does get there eventually. High enough pressure to get me safely home anyway, and then I check the pressure / top up with the track pump. The Lezyne mini fits easily in a jersey pocket, and it also has a bracket / strap that fits beneath a bottle cage so all good for the summer bike where I frequently carry 2 bottles.
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    I got a morph G when I had two punctures in one ride, and nearly knackered my shoulder pumping them up with a mini pump (I am quite old!). A lot easier on the arm/ shoulder muscles as you use it like a track pump. I can fit it in my camelbak when out riding.
  • Recommend the Lezyne mini pump, mainly because of the separate screw on adapter, which has been foolproof so far.
  • tcm733
    tcm733 Posts: 61
    Just brought one of these Fabric ones after buying one of their rear lights a few weeks ago,
    https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/fabric-r ... 4.123.html

I've only used it a couple of times but it's got a great feel to it and seems to deliver a good amount of air, there's also a mtb one which I'm tempted to get to replace my 10 year old squeaky Specialized one.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 284
    tcm733 wrote:
    Just brought one of these Fabric ones after buying one of their rear lights a few weeks ago,
    https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/fabric-r ... 4.123.html

I've only used it a couple of times but it's got a great feel to it and seems to deliver a good amount of air, there's also a mtb one which I'm tempted to get to replace my 10 year old squeaky Specialized one.

Does that screw on to the valve or just press on?

I have the lezyne hp drive medium sized pump and after several uses i can always get the tyre up to a reasonable pressure to get home with, but last night the hose kept taking the valve core with it when unscrewing it, on the third time i finally managed to get the hose off the valve without unscrewing the core. (This may have been / probably was user error)
  • keef66
    jdee84 wrote:
    I have the lezyne hp drive medium sized pump and after several uses i can always get the tyre up to a reasonable pressure to get home with, but last night the hose kept taking the valve core with it when unscrewing it, on the third time i finally managed to get the hose off the valve without unscrewing the core. (This may have been / probably was user error)

You need to nip up the valve core before using a new tube. Or choose tubes with non-removable cores.

Does your flexible hose have a little ABS button to release the pressure in the hose so you can unscrew it without taking the valve core with it?

http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-hpdrive.php
  • jdee84
    keef66 wrote:
    jdee84 wrote:

You need to nip up the valve core before using a new tube. Or choose tubes with non-removable cores.

Does your flexible hose have a little ABS button to release the pressure in the hose so you can unscrew it without taking the valve core with it?

http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-hpdrive.php

By nip up do you mean tighten?

It does have that little button, i had pressed it but the core still came out, or should i have been holding it down while unscrewing?
  • keef66
    jdee84 wrote:

Yes. I have a tiny adjustable spanner I use, or you can get a little tool specifically for valve cores

It does have that little button, i had pressed it but the core still came out, or should i have been holding it down while unscrewing?

No, just pressing it briefly should depressurise the tube. Sounds like the valve core wasn't very tight
  • jdee84
    keef66 wrote:
    jdee84 wrote:

Yes. I have a tiny adjustable spanner I use, or you can get a little tool specifically for valve cores

No, just pressing it briefly should depressurise the tube. Sounds like the valve core wasn't very tight

Thanks for the advice! I actually have one of those tools from wiggle but it's in my road bike kit and not with the stuff i bring to work for any hybrid issues
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    I'm a little late to the party but I like the Lezyne pumps, I own three, two Road Drives and an Alloy Drive, plus I own 2 Topeaks, a Race Rocket HP and the Road Morph G; plus others that are no longer made. The one thing I discovered about mini pumps is that the vast majority of them will never get to the advertised limits, in fact the vast majority won't even go to half the advertised limit! The Topeak and the Lezyne, and a couple of others will reach to 110 psi but only if you get the right size. The hardest one to use is the Topeak Race Rocket HP, the size is a bit smaller than the Lezyne that I have. The Lezyne Alloy Drive comes in 2 sizes, small and medium, the medium is the better one and it's larger then the Sport drive which means it will take less strokes and less arm force than the Sport Drive to get the air in.

For you road riders the Road Drive comes in 3 sizes, small, medium, and large, get the large one I seriously doubt the medium will get past 90 psi, and the small one will be lucky to get to 75, and the effort that it would take for those two to get there would be huge.

I also mentioned the Road Morph G, this one is hands down the easiest one to use, it requires less strokes and it's relative easily to use, but it's not a mini pump, it's more like a half frame pump, and it's ungainly looking, however I use it on the touring bike because the tires are larger and to use a mini pump it would take a large number of strokes to get the tire up to pressure.

None of the pumps that I have had issues with unscrewing the valve core.

I have another mini pump which also works quite well, the SKS Raceday Carbon direct connect (meaning no hose) pump which is no longer made, and all current crop of SKS mini pumps are junk.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I have just ordered a fabric r150,it is to replace lezyne which I managed to damage
  • tcm733
    tcm733 Posts: 61
    So after using the Fabric road one I have also picked up the Mtb version (M200) , I'd been using an old Spez one for ages as part of my mtb gear and wished Id replaced it ages ago now. All the guys I ride with are using some form of pump more suited to road riding that require loads of pumps to get any volume in, this on the other hand is wider and much better for an mtb tyre, definitely one of the best bits of mtb kit I've brought in a while.