Upgrade crankset?

turdferguson
turdferguson Posts: 3
edited March 2017 in Road general
Hi, I have been riding a 2013 Wilier for several years now and I decided to upgrade the transmission this Spring from 105 5700 to Ultegra 6800 because I got some new wheels that have an 11 speed hub.

The bike has a custom painted FSA crank that I really like, but the guy at the shop told me it wouldn't work with the 6800 chain?? He urged me to buy a matching crank, which I did not really want to do. He also told me that my current crank at 170 was too short for my frame (56), and I would need a 172.5. I have never noticed an issue, but I felt like I was being sold a bunch of bullshit.

Comments

• Find a new shop!
  • Your feelings are correct.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah, it'll be fine. At the very least, ride it until it stops being fine, then look at the price of new chainrings and decide if it is worthwhile then.

Shops, as you might have guessed, make money by selling things, and they'll often thrown in a load of bullshit completely free to encourage you to part with your money.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yeah thats a bad shop.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    9 speed chainsets don't play nice with 11 speed (in my experience) but 10 speed will be fine.

as for crank length, it is down to personal preference and fit.

was this bike shop Evans by any chance?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Big bad shop. Go elsewhere.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    9 speed chainsets don't play nice with 11 speed (in my experience) but 10 speed will be fine.

as for crank length, it is down to personal preference and fit.

was this bike shop Evans by any chance?

No, it was machinery row in Madison, WI. They have a good reputation, but this was my first visit to the service shop. Not a good one, I felt hustled. I declined to buy a new crank and bb from them, but he insisted I will have issues down the line because he said the 11-speed chain is thinner and different.

The crank I have is a FSA Goosamer, which from my research I believe is a reputable, reliable and sufficient piece of equipment for what I need it to do.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    As above - 11 speed chain and speed chain rings work fine: in fact it's what I've got on my Cervelo.

And yup - your current crankset is fine.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Used some 10 speed chainrings with a 11 speed chain for ages...absolutely fine...in fact isn't Adam Hansen using a 10 speed DA chainrings on his 11 speed race bike atm.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    I believe that the chainring/cog thickness of 10 and 11 speed is identical, and so too therefore is the internal chain width. The difference is in the outer thickness of the chain and the cassette/chainring spacing. Hypothetically you might get marginally worse shifting, but do the maths and you'll see we are talking about fractions of a mm. I'd defy anyone to tell the difference in a blind test.

Find a new shop. You will never be able to trust the advice you get there.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    At worst, new rings. In my experience, no need at all.
  • It's a Willier, stick Campag' on it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    FSA Goosamer? They honk.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Sounds like you need to change shops. Not the best advice I’ve heard. 10 speed chainrings work with 11 speed chains just fine.