Packable rain jacket

timbo_tim
timbo_tim Posts: 199
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has some good recommendations for a packable rain jacket that is more waterproof than breathable. Maybe counterintuitive but I would like it to be pretty waterproof and don't mind a bit of sweating (as opposed to a bin bag). Used to use a sportful one but I have realised it's only shower and not proper rain proof! Just seen the endura helium for £45 on Evans and wondering if that's the best I can do?

Thanks

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    timbo_tim wrote:
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone has some good recommendations for a packable rain jacket that is more waterproof than breathable. Maybe counterintuitive but I would like it to be pretty waterproof and don't mind a bit of sweating (as opposed to a bin bag). Used to use a sportful one but I have realised it's only shower and not proper rain proof! Just seen the endura helium for £45 on Evans and wondering if that's the best I can do?

Thanks

There are dozens and dozens to choose from. Endura stuff is fine, but might not be "the best". Get one that fits you at a price you can take. That's about it really. You can always order 10 from one of the large online retailers and send back the 9 that you don't want.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I've been through several and this is the best I have found unless you want to get into spending silly money:

http://road.cc/content/review/33950-agu ... dom-jacket

The relationship between the name and the price is, I think, coincidental. :)

Thoroughly recommended for even the roughest rides....

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Been using one of these for a few years - http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/montane-fea ... ck-p142371

great bit of kit imo. dries fast, packs small, light weight.

I've never found any jacket to be perfect ie you either get wet from the outside in, or sweat from the inside out, but this one strikes the best compromise imo
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've got this one ...
    https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/specialize ... 6-ID_65134

had a couple of rain outings - good so far. Just need some waterproof gloves to go with them!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Ok funnily enough, the weather for a test/risk assessment ride/commute this morning warranted trying out an as yet unworn Gore Active 1 jacket that is very packable... but you dont need to pack it .
    I wasnt wearing a rucksack so decided to give it a 40mile road test.
    Wearing a DHB very lightweight tee plus another Pearl Izumi base tee and arm warmers.
    The rain was only light but enough for a air temp range from 0.5c to 1.5c

The jacket?
    The best bit of kit I probably own... I am so glad I bought it.

Yes, I know it costs over £200.. but I got it with a Wiggle 40 off code.
    Yes, I know it is the colour of mud... luckily enough my A road agricultural commute makes a matching pair....

I will race in this as it is NOT FLAPPY HAPPY and stay dry inside and out... no more sweaty pits.
  • Thanks all, must admit the gore looks amazing but then so is the price tag. I see PX have the Agu condom for £20 so think I'll take a punt on that, think transparent colour could be an interesting choice!

Thanks for the input
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    I'd like to give a negative recommendation: Rapha Pro Team Race Cape. I got it for £66 which still makes me balk; can't believe I paid that much for it. It's crap IMO. Two problems with it: 1. it ain't waterproof anymore and when it stopped being waterproof I'd hardly used it, 2. whenever I use it while raining I spend an amazing amount of time yanking it down at the back – it's too short at the back and/or the method of keeping it pulled down doesn't work. Probably going to cause me to come off soon. Absolute waste of money. Really really regret buying it. Oh, and it's not that packable, questionably packable, so slightly inappropriate to this thread! Anyway…
  • ben----- wrote:
    ...it ain't waterproof anymore

Something worth noting when talking about waterproof jackets is the care taken to maintain them. Most waterproof products rely on some kind of water repellent coating. Put them in a normal wash with regular cleaning products and they'll come out less waterproof than when they went in...

Usually they will require washing in a gentle detergent and re-proofed after so many washes.

I've been using a DHB jacket. Similar to the classic ones http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-classic-rain-shell-jacket/. Have tested on some big rides. One of the first rides I did with it was a 200k audax where it bucketed down for about the first 5 hours... Chest was lightly damp by the end of it, but not wet. Everything else dry.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    I haven't washed it once. I asked on here about reproofing and the general consensus was it doesn't work.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410

I've been using a DHB jacket. Similar to the classic ones http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-classic-rain-shell-jacket/. Have tested on some big rides. One of the first rides I did with it was a 200k audax where it bucketed down for about the first 5 hours... Chest was lightly damp by the end of it, but not wet. Everything else dry.

I've the same jacket. It's fantastic. Kept me dry on a few occasions. I'd recommend it.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    I recently bought one from Trespass. Yes never expected to find something in there but it's a proper cycling jacket, wind and waterproof.

It was £52 but totally worth it as took it out at the weekend and couldn't feel the wind or rain, but clearly breaths as I stayed a recent temp.
  • ben----- wrote:
    I haven't washed it once.

They also supposedly have to be clean...

Don't get me wrong. The Rapha might be an awful jacket, I don't know. And having to follow a list of complex instructions to take care of your jacket is not really a selling point. Ideally they will just work. But I think unfortunately with something that defies the laws of physics (lets water out, but not in!) there is always going to be some compromise.

I have considered buying a straight up PVC jacket in the past, if only I could find one with a good fit...
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Wore my Rapha Race Cape only yesterday for 3 hours in the pouring rain, came home nice and dry, wash mine every 3 or 4 wears in Nikwax Tech wash, seems to do the trick. It is packable just, but only if you have big pockets!

My recommendation would be the Endura FS260-Pro Race Cape, excellent bit of kit.

http://www.endurasport.com/products/?Pr ... de=E9026BK
  • timbo_tim
    timbo_tim Posts: 199
    edited March 2017
    Thanks flasher, the endura seemed to get good reviews and exactly what I wanted! Just got one for £46 not bad considering the rrp and its same day delivery for us London folk!

Edited to add: endura arrived 1 hour after I ordered it (well done H2 gear -part of Giant in St Pauls) with free delivery! Looks good but weird how waterproof it's meant to be as it looks porous, guess it's some crazy science about molecules etc
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    ben----- wrote:
    I'd like to give a negative recommendation: Rapha Pro Team Race Cape. I got it for £66 which still makes me balk; can't believe I paid that much for it. It's crap IMO. Two problems with it: 1. it ain't waterproof anymore and when it stopped being waterproof I'd hardly used it, 2. whenever I use it while raining I spend an amazing amount of time yanking it down at the back – it's too short at the back and/or the method of keeping it pulled down doesn't work. Probably going to cause me to come off soon. Absolute waste of money. Really really regret buying it. Oh, and it's not that packable, questionably packable, so slightly inappropriate to this thread! Anyway…

There is a difference between the Pack Jacket and the Pro Team Race Cape? You sure not confused with them?

Race cape for £66? Never seen that price before for the race cape. You sure its genuine?

I have the pack jacket and thats not very waterproof but the Race Cape is.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    ben----- wrote:
    I haven't washed it once.

They also supposedly have to be clean...

Don't get me wrong. The Rapha might be an awful jacket, I don't know. And having to follow a list of complex instructions to take care of your jacket is not really a selling point. Ideally they will just work. But I think unfortunately with something that defies the laws of physics (lets water out, but not in!) there is always going to be some compromise.

I have considered buying a straight up PVC jacket in the past, if only I could find one with a good fit...

Anisotropic (different properties in different direction) materials can, and are being developed, and that's not defying laws of physics. As Tesla founder said, though, 'it is easy to make 1 very good car, but very difficult to make 10 000 of very good car and make it economically viable'.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    More on topic, though, when i checked a while ago, Sportful Hot Pack Ultralight seemed to be the best of bin bag types/waterproof packables.
  • timmyotool
    timmyotool Posts: 172
    I've an earlier version of this and its really good and packs up nice and small, you might be able to shop around for cheaper.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-hot-pack-hi-viz-norain-jacket
  • timmyotool
    timmyotool Posts: 172
    To add: the ultralight mentioned by mamil314 above is very high on the packable but much lower on the waterproof.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    ben----- wrote:
    ...it ain't waterproof anymore

Something worth noting when talking about waterproof jackets is the care taken to maintain them. Most waterproof products rely on some kind of water repellent coating. Put them in a normal wash with regular cleaning products and they'll come out less waterproof than when they went in...

Usually they will require washing in a gentle detergent and re-proofed after so many washes.

Have to disagree with some of the points here. Most waterproof fabrics are "plastic bag" waterproof when new, washed or dirty. Making something waterproof is easy. Most do have a water repellent coating, but that usually isn't what guarantees waterproofing. The water repellent coating is there to stop the face fabric wetting out which impacts on breathability. Remove the coating and they are not less waterproof. Paramo and many softshells are the exception to this as they do use water repellent properties as a key part of waterproofing. In a similar way, a windshell washed in Nikwax TX can give pretty good protection from rain.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    pottssteve wrote:
    I've been through several and this is the best I have found unless you want to get into spending silly money:

http://road.cc/content/review/33950-agu ... dom-jacket

The relationship between the name and the price is, I think, coincidental. :)

Thoroughly recommended for even the roughest rides....

Steve
    I got one of these after a recommendation from a clubmate a couple of years ago. I am really pleased with it - it has worn well, and keeps out the water well in all but the heaviest rain. I often use it as my standard outer layer in the winter even if it is not going to rain as it is windproof enough to keep me warm.