Dura ace 9000 Rear derailleur and bracket cup issues

neilr4
neilr4 Posts: 161
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Hi

As the title describes.......

Have my mechanical group since may 2015 and ridden approx. 6000 km in races and dry weather training spins. I stripped the bike down last october, cleaned all the components and put the frame and parts into storage.

Took it down last week to rebuild and noticed that the bottom bracket bearing on the right side wasn't 100% and the rear derailleur cage was seized :shock:

Brought the frame and rear derailleur back to the shop I purchased it and they informed me that DA and shimano in general BB cups are badly designed and that they have to regularly replace the cups due to corroded bearings!!! I couldn't believe my ears..... it's f*&king DA we're talking about here? I ran a 7700 bottom bracket for 15 years before it needed replacing.

Ended up paying for new Ultegra cups :cry: Asked about the Shimano 2 year warranty and they laughed :roll:

The mechanic couldn't remove the rear derailleur cage as the bold was seized so it will be shipped back to shimano, in the meantime I wait OR buy a new one :cry:

I've been a DA fanboy for the past 30 years but it seems now I've bought garbage with the 9000 group!!!

Anyone out there offer any advice?

Neil.
'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

Comments

• Bottom bracket bearings do seize. How did you maintain it or did you just leave it alone?
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    Never touch the bearings, they're sealed for a reason are they not?
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • They will generally be ok as long as they are kept free of debris such as mud / grit / sand etc. Over time with prolonged exposure to such detritus they can get fouled and will seize. They don't just seize. At least they aren't mega-bucks to replace.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    Generally speaking it's worse to leave the muck and dirt in a bearing because it acts like a sponge when it rains and holds the moisture in. It also pits the bearings. If the bearings are flushed, it's only water you have to contend with - and it's fresh as opposed to salty.

I regularly jet wash my bike followed by spray with PTFE and regreasing periodically. If you are riding in a british winter/autumn etc then you are screwed and should expect to get a limited life out of the bearings.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Wet, British weather eats outboard bearings. Simple as that.

They're not too expensive to replace.

I'm not sure what's happened with the rear mech, but probably similar failure mechanism to the bearing in the BB if I am understanding your post correctly.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • neilr4 wrote:
    Hi

As the title describes.......

Have my mechanical group since may 2015 and ridden approx. 6000 km in races and dry weather training spins. I stripped the bike down last october, cleaned all the components and put the frame and parts into storage.

Took it down last week to rebuild and noticed that the bottom bracket bearing on the right side wasn't 100% and the rear derailleur cage was seized :shock:

I've been a DA fanboy for the past 30 years but it seems now I've bought garbage with the 9000 group!!!

Anyone out there offer any advice?

Neil.

Dont get why you stripped down and cleaned? dont you just clean the bike, oil the chain etc and hang it up somewhere dry over winter?

Sounds like you ve removed lube from the the BB and RD somehow and its corroded/siezed.

just buy a cheap 5800 RD until yours is sorted, DA has a 3 year warranty.

My DA just goes on and on, wet or dry rides but i dont use a hose or strip and clean it.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    hambini wrote:
    ... I regularly jet wash my bike followed by spray with PTFE and regreasing periodically. If you are riding in a british winter/autumn etc then you are screwed and should expect to get a limited life out of the bearings.
    I would probably say that anyone regularly jet wash bikes would get a limited life out of bearings! There is a lot to be said for a bit of healthy neglect, works well with the kids as well but yet to try jet washing on them ;-)