Front Light

rokt
rokt Posts: 493
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm after a new front light, my commute home is on quiet unlit roads and I don't think I'm being seen. Can anyone recommend a good quality bright light that won't brank the bank. Thanks.

Comments

• dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Cateye Volt 800.

End of discussion. No more posts needed.
  • Lezyne micro drive is pretty bright, but if you run it on a setting that you can see with it'll only last a couple of hours, if that!
    They are very bright though- probably brighter than my exposure Joystick!
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    dstev55 wrote:
    Cateye Volt 800.

End of discussion. No more posts needed.
    This
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xeccon-Strive ... f1ac9#rwid

This one really good the mount is abit rubbish though
  • I'm using a Lezyne Macro 600XL. My commute uses unlit narrow country roads. When it's dark vehicles often stop and pull over when they see me coming so they definitely see me - and I don't even use it on the brightest setting. Apart from that it is a compact and solid unit, though the small battery inevitably requires regular charging. My commute is 35 - 40 minutes each way and I make sure I charge it at least every other day. It'll probably do a third day at a push.
  • I have a Cateye Volt 1200 and it's great. The pulse mode is useful for being seen whilst maintaining a constant source of light on unlit roads.
  • I have a light and motion urban 800 that's I absolutely adore. It's on a GoPro garmin combo mount on my bars. Makes for a clean package and that thing is crazy bright!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Rokt wrote:
    I'm after a new front light, my commute home is on quiet unlit roads and I don't think I'm being seen. Can anyone recommend a good quality bright light that won't brank the bank. Thanks.

Depends on your budget what breaking (or branking) the bank means. I have tried various lights for exactly this terrain, on my commute around the South Lake District area, and have settled on an Exposure Joystick. It has a maximum output of around 800 lumens, which I think is more than adequate for unlit roads - in fact I use a lower output even for unlit roads, and it is fine. What I really like is the ability to really nail down the settings, so you can have a 'be seen' mode, a 'adequate for less dark' mode and a 'pick out most of your surroundings' mode - and then with a longer press of the button a 'low constant/bright flashing' mode. Battery life is strictly commuting - ie full power about 90 mins, so I have a charger at home and at work.

What makes you think you aren't being seen on unlit roads? It should be easier for traffic to pick you out with even the most basic of lights without the distraction of street lights. On unlit roads your priority should be a light to see by, not only to be seen (without scoring the 'own-goal' of blinding oncoming traffic).