Rockshox Sektor Air Spring Lubrication

MGDriver
MGDriver Posts: 38
edited February 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm looking for some advice from those who regularly service Rockshox Forks.

I have a set of 2015 Rockshox Sektor RL Gold Forks that I am planning to service.

All looks simple enough with help from the SRAM on-line guides, however I have a question with regard to the lubrication of the Upper Leg of the Air Spring side.

In the manual for the 2015 Forks it states to lubricate with grease only, however on later model Sektor Forks a small quantity of 5wt Oil is added before re-fitting the Top Cap.

Is the addition of Oil on the later models an improvement that can be done to earlier model Forks, or should I just follow the manual and add grease only?
Giant Trance X2 - 2013
Giant Trance X3 - 2012 - Stolen :(
Cannondale Trail SL6 - 2010

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I use a smear of grease and then about 2.5ml of fork oil on top, also the same for where the air shaft passes through the lower seal, a smear of grease and then with the upper upside down insert the main air piston and then add the oil on the underside of it before refitting the 'seal head'.

You want as little friction on those two seals as possible to improve the small bump feel, any stiction reduces that ability.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for that, As you say the whole lot needs to be well lubricated to overcome any stiction in the O-Rings, I think a little oil in there would help and not hinder the function.
    I've only worked on Fox Forks and the Float Fluid that goes in the Air Chamber is nice slick stuff, but probably a bit thick for this job.
    Giant Trance X2 - 2013
  • As a follow-up. I emailed the tech guys at TF Tuned at the same time as I posted here, the answer I got back was yes add some lube, and a link to the 5cc pillow-packs of Fox Float Fluid they sell. So maybe Float Fluid is the way to go for Air Spring lubrication, Fox may have got that right even if they cannot seem to prevent Stanchion wear!!
    Giant Trance X2 - 2013