Beating times from "the bad old days" - suspect or natural development?

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited February 2017 in Road general
If professional riders start going faster up mountains and things (as in minutes faster) than people who were doped up did should this raise alarm bells?

Discuss.
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    no ..... modern sports training and nutrition is miles ahead of what it used to be and easily accounts for better performance, especially in 3 week races where recovery is paramount to speeds seen
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Big yawn I'm afraid MF. Has been discussed ad nauseam in pro race. You need to start talking about man-eating discs to stir things up these days.
  • For Pete's sake, just look at a photograph of a baseball or American Football player from the 1960's and compare it to today.

Same goes for most any sport. Not just dope, once training and nutrition improved the results came with it.

From the 1960's to present the 100m record has fallen by 1/2 second. The entire race is only about 10 seconds. So that's a 5% improvement. In the same time period the mile record has fallen by 30 seconds over about 4 minutes 15 to 3 minutes 40.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men's_100 ... rogression

Extrapolate those insane changes in very short foot races to hours and hours on the bike, and yes, you get minutes of improvement.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It's hard to compare times on mountains though isn't it.

How many are raced flat out by one person ? Nowadays it seems to be that the attacks only come in the last 2k or so.
    In the good old days you'd have the contenders away together for hours on end. I miss those days.
  • If professional riders start going faster up mountains and things (as in minutes faster) than people who were doped up did should this raise alarm bells?

Discuss.

Yes, but nobody has... Best times up Alpe d'Huez these days are a good 2 minutes slower than 20 years ago, like for like

Those who think nutrition and technological advances can trump blood doping should read more literature on VO2 max... seriously!
    left the forum March 2023

• Same goes for most any sport. Not just dope, once training and nutrition improved the results came with it.

Yes, but mostly doping... the examples you quote later are good examples of doping
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    bompington wrote:
    Big yawn I'm afraid MF. Has been discussed ad nauseam in pro race. You need to start talking about man-eating discs to stir things up these days.

Genuinly hadn't seen that particular thread - just something we were talking about at work today so I thought I'd get other people's opinions on it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    bompington wrote:

Genuinly hadn't seen that particular thread - just something we were talking about at work today so I thought I'd get other people's opinions on it.
    Sorry for the cynicism then - unforgivable really to jump so quickly to the conclusion that you were trolling... ;-)
  • I'd also add that the trend of riding to power has helped this. There's a lot less stop/start attacking up the climbs, so you'd expect the average time to improve.
  • If professional riders start going faster up mountains and things (as in minutes faster) than people who were doped up did should this raise alarm bells?

Discuss.

Only if they use disc brakes