edited March 2017 in Road buying advice

Comments

• For an extra £100....?

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/320630/p ... -grey.aspx

(oops- extra £200 :oops: )
  • For an extra £100....?

I need to buy a lock, helmet and lights too tho....
  • For an extra £100....?

Seconded, worth every penny. Don't worry about a new helmet, just wear a colander or something
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • For an extra £100....?

Seconded, worth every penny. Don't worry about a new helmet, just wear a colander or something

It puts me over the 1k psychological barrier tho, I'm not too bothered if its a bit better and its only for doing deliveroo anyway.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    manx_cat wrote:
    For an extra £100....?

It puts me over the 1k psychological barrier tho, I'm not too bothered if its a bit better and its only for doing deliveroo anyway.

I'd go for the Cube from your original post then. Better gears and brakes than the Boardman.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    manx_cat wrote:
    For an extra £100....?

I'd go for the Cube from your original post then. Better gears and brakes than the Boardman.

Same, specification for various components is better.
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    manx_cat wrote:
    its only for doing deliveroo anyway.

Don't you get about 50p per delivery? A grand on a bike for deliveroo seems crazy. Most of those guys I see are on £25 bikes.

You will be chewing through chains and cassettes.... on a grand bike it's gonna cost a little to keep running if you are doing a ton of city miles.
  • manx_cat
    manx_cat Posts: 52
    imafatman wrote:
    manx_cat wrote:
    its only for doing deliveroo anyway.

Don't you get about 50p per delivery? A grand on a bike for deliveroo seems crazy. Most of those guys I see are on £25 bikes.

You will be chewing through chains and cassettes.... on a grand bike it's gonna cost a little to keep running if you are doing a ton of city miles.

You get £6 p/h and £1 per delivery.

Chains and cassettes cant be too expensive?

Besides if I went cheap then the quality is going to go down, so I thought id go for quality.
  • imafatman
    I think around £50 for a new chain and cassette on a 105 groupset? Plus labour if you aren't changing it yourself.

I don't want to poo on your parade just trying to understand your motivations because if you are investing nearly £1000 on a new bike purely for a deliveroo job - I think you might be a) spending too much and b) looking at the wrong kind of bike.

Just look at cycle couriers - I've never seen one of them on a fast road bike, it's just not suited to the kind of daily punishment.
    manx_cat wrote:
    Besides if I went cheap then the quality is going to go down, so I thought id go for quality.

Need to be careful to understand what you mean when you say "quality". In a fast road bike - performance is the priority, so people are paying for performance. What you aren't paying for is reliability or longevity.

I would suggest that a "quality" bike for a delivery job would be something that is solidly reliable, a workhorse bike which can take a beating and won't be stuck in the repair shop constantly. It might not be the fastest bike but it will be far more reliable meaning more shifts and less time repairing.

1) definitely no carbon frames. if you take a knock or have a crash on a carbon bike you may be surprised to find your frame is unsafe to use.

2) definitely no skinny fast road tyres - you are going to be pounding through city streets with a big backpack carrying peoples food for hours.

3) definitely don't want a hunched down racer - as above - spending hours in an aggressive racing bike with a big backpack is a bad idea.

I would strongly suggest you consider picking up a second hand city hybrid and spending absolutely no more than £300 and then spend another £75 getting it serviced and checked.

If you check the cycle couriers - most of them go with flat bar single speed bikes because the rear derailleur is so easy to damage. It means they spend less money replacing cassettes and chains and more time earning money.
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    I did food delivery on a supersix evo and it was a terrible idea. get something with thick tyres and mudguards that doesn't matter so much if it gets stolen
  • manx_cat
    manx_cat Posts: 52
    imafatman wrote:
    I think around £50 for a new chain and cassette on a 105 groupset? Plus labour if you aren't changing it yourself.

I don't want to poo on your parade just trying to understand your motivations because if you are investing nearly £1000 on a new bike purely for a deliveroo job - I think you might be a) spending too much and b) looking at the wrong kind of bike.

Just look at cycle couriers - I've never seen one of them on a fast road bike, it's just not suited to the kind of daily punishment.
    manx_cat wrote:

Need to be careful to understand what you mean when you say "quality". In a fast road bike - performance is the priority, so people are paying for performance. What you aren't paying for is reliability or longevity.

I would suggest that a "quality" bike for a delivery job would be something that is solidly reliable, a workhorse bike which can take a beating and won't be stuck in the repair shop constantly. It might not be the fastest bike but it will be far more reliable meaning more shifts and less time repairing.

1) definitely no carbon frames. if you take a knock or have a crash on a carbon bike you may be surprised to find your frame is unsafe to use.

2) definitely no skinny fast road tyres - you are going to be pounding through city streets with a big backpack carrying peoples food for hours.

3) definitely don't want a hunched down racer - as above - spending hours in an aggressive racing bike with a big backpack is a bad idea.

I would strongly suggest you consider picking up a second hand city hybrid and spending absolutely no more than £300 and then spend another £75 getting it serviced and checked.

If you check the cycle couriers - most of them go with flat bar single speed bikes because the rear derailleur is so easy to damage. It means they spend less money replacing cassettes and chains and more time earning money.

I have actually seen a few on pure road bikes.

But what about this then with hub gears, Im not sure I could get up hills without any gears at all.

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/cube-hyde-pro ... AhB-8P8HAQ

Or this hybrid:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -team-bike
  • imafatman
    I think the Cube Hyde looks like a much better fit than anything else you've linked but I don't know about the longevity of that internal gears. Certainly won't be prone to getting knocked or damaged in a crash/fall so that's a big benefit. Have a look online for the Nexus8 and see if it sounds alright to you.