Internal routing brake cable

jonbad
jonbad Posts: 3
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Hello all. Quick question. I am building up a Planet X carbon frame. This is my first build on a bike with internal wiring. The frame comes with screw in inserts that can be removed to facilitate the build. Front brake works fine. No internal wiring. When setting up the rear brake I have to route through the top tube. I tried to set it up using the top tube inserts attached and using ferrules at the entry point and exit point on the top tube, but when I finished the rear brake was very rough and almost seemed to grind a bit. When checking the two sections of housing ( the one between brifter port and top tube, and the one between top tube and back brake ) there does not seem to be any snagging going on. It almost seems as though the bare wire is scraping against the inside of the top tube causing friction. So, I redid the wiring. I used some Jagwire brake housing that went unused from a previous build. I removed the top tube inserts, which allows the brake wire with housing to be inserted into the top tube. I now have the rear brake cablegoing from brifter port to back brake completely surrounded by cable housing the entire way, even through the top tube. Any problems with that set up ? It seems to be working ok at the moment, but never having wired internally I'm not sure. Build is with Campagnolo Potenza componentry. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Jon

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    My Reacto is set up exactly that way with a full length cable outer going through the frame for both the derailleurs and and the rear brake. As long as there is tension on the brake and it is working, what's the problem.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    My Reacto is set up exactly that way with a full length cable outer going through the frame for both the derailleurs and and the rear brake. As long as there is tension on the brake and it is working, what's the problem.

Maybe none. I've never really set up a bike that way. I always had cable stops and ferrules. There does seem to be friction and they seem to be working at the moment. Internal routing does seem to complicate things ! :(