ferrule on brake cable end which goes into shifter?

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited February 2017 in Workshop
When replacing brake cables, are you supposed to put a ferrule on the cable end which goes up into the shifter? This is on a Shimano Dura Ace 7803 lever if it makes any difference. I replaced the front brake cable about a week ago and the front lever is still a bit rattly. Brake works fine, but I'm wondering if I should have put a ferrule on? If that might be it? Thanks.

Comments

• No, ferrule only on the gear cable at the STI end. The reason is rattling is lack of tension in the cable. Undo the brake bolt, pull the cable with pliers and do it up again
    left the forum March 2023
  • ben-----
    OK, thanks. Thought the tension was right because the closeness of the brake blocks to the wheel is right. Tighter will make them closer, touching?, no? Anyway, I'll do what you suggest. It must be a tension thing I suppose. Thanks.
  • wedge a couple of bank cards or bits of cardboard between the rim & the brake blocks to act as spacers while you work on getting the cable as tight as you can.

this then means you can tighten the cable fully and not have to worry about the brakes becoming too tight on the rim as all you do is remove the cards to get things moving again ( the small clip/switch on the caliper that helps you remove the wheel should let the cards fall out easily enough if they are wedged in really tight when your done )

worked for me on my commuter bike when i tinkered with the brakes adding top bar inline levers & inline adjuster barrels ( these adjusters were very handy in getting rid of any slack & making fine adjustments to the brakes with ease as the pads wore down with use too.
  • ben-----
    > wedge a couple of bank cards or bits of cardboard between the rim & the brake blocks to act as spacers while you work on getting the cable as tight as you can.

Thanks for that, will give it a go.