2 rear hangers in 2 days

the_urban_spaceman
the_urban_spaceman Posts: 59
edited February 2017 in Workshop
I'm baffled and wondering if someone can advise me.

A couple of weeks back I snapped my rear hanger. I ordered 2 new ones (a brand called Pilo) a replacement and a spare, and this week got around to putting one on.

First ride on it yesterday and it snapped.

So in the evening I put the spare on, rode on it this afternoon (in a crit) and that one snapped!

I've had a quick look online to see whether whether it's Pilo that's the problem, but nothing is leaping out.

Worth mentioning that I think the original hanger breakage was due to the rear mech (di2) being faulty. It's now been replaced and today's breakage occurred with the new one on.

Also worth mentioning is that I've been using a hanger alignment tool when fitting.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    if the rd is ok then i think i'd try a different brand!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod wrote:

But I see nothing but good reviews for Pilo.

Plus that wouldn't explain what caused the original (non-Pilo) to snap.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    Even if it was severely bent I wouldn't expect it to snap. Have you got a picture of it, so we can see which direction it snapped in. that will tell you if it's alignment, fatigue or poor build/material
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Have used Pilo for years on my mountain bikes. Bought them from Gearmechhanger.Com

Never had one ever need replacing and have fitted 5 so far.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    The actual frame is not 100%?
    Something is not right.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    sungod wrote:

But I see nothing but good reviews for Pilo.

Plus that wouldn't explain what caused the original (non-Pilo) to snap.

even the best of brands can have a batch failure in production

you suspected the original break was faulty rear mech, if it wasn't that, you need to look close at the other elements...

is the freehub ok? if it jams and you're not pedalling it'll pull the chain through the rd cage ***tight*** which might easily snap the hanger (or indeed the rd cage)

is the chain ok, no bent links that could jam in the rd cage for instance

which cog is the chain on when failure occurs, if it's the biggest/closest to the spokes, is the rd clipping spokes?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Freehub is fine, in fact it's happened with 2 different wheels.

Chain was replaced between break 1 and 2. Break 2 didn't twist anything at all.

Failure is when going up the cassette but not at the top, so not clipping spokes (besides limit screws were correctly set when installing new RM).

Baffling.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    It seems like it might be quite common with certain hangers.http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116461
  • Jermas, thank you. It doesn't resolve the issue but it certainly is an interesting read, cheers.