11s cassette on 10s freehub

BigColUK
BigColUK Posts: 69
edited March 2018 in Workshop
Hi

I stupidly bought a set of wheels on eBay without reading the details. I've bought a pair of Shimano MT75 29er wheels for my planetx 11 speed cross bike.

The wheels are in perfect condition and are really nice but the 11speed cassette won't fit on as it is a 10s freehub.

I've temporarily got the bike working by removing one of the rings from the cassette but the bike shouts at me when I change from 10th to 9th. (I don't want to remove the smallest ring as I would spin out)

I thought I could just get a new hub but the 11s xt hubs are 32hole and these wheels are 24.

Any ideas/options?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Use an 11 speed MTB cassette as that wil fit, I'm not sure what the smallest size of big sprocket is you can get.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Use an 11 speed MTB cassette as that wil fit, I'm not sure what the smallest size of big sprocket is you can get.

Thanks but I've just tried my MTB XTR 11s on the wheel. Cassette fits fine (as you mentioned) but the Force mech doesn't like it as the spacing is different. I'm wondering if I put a 11-36 10s cassette on there, that might solve the issue.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Spacing should be the same with an MTB cassette.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    File a few mm off the inside of the freehub?
    Seen it done before and I'm going to attempt it shortly for my disc wheel on my TT bike.
    Don't need much, the spacer to convert 10 to 11 speed is 1.8mm so be very gentle!
  • super_davo wrote:
    File a few mm off the inside of the freehub?
    Seen it done before and I'm going to attempt it shortly for my disc wheel on my TT bike.
    Don't need much, the spacer to convert 10 to 11 speed is 1.8mm so be very gentle!

Thanks - I've had a look at this and there isn't really anything to file away. Any closer and the cassette would touch the moving part of the wheel. I've put a 10s cassette on it with the same range as the 11s (11-36) so hopefully that will do. Quick test ride and the chain is shifting correctly and runs smooth. I'll see what it is like on the commute tomorrow.
  • BigColUK
    BigColUK Posts: 69
    Hairsy wrote:
    Fantastic!!

I'll have a look at doing this.

Thank you
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    I want to machine out an 11 speed cassette to fit my 10 speed C24's...need to visit a local engineer I guess who has a lathe.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    The shimano 11-40 11s cassette will fit a 9s/10s hub. The large cog combined with the bracing angle of the spokes means that the rear derailleur and chain can be further inboard than on a smaller cassette and still clear the spokes, so Shimano made the cassette so that it will fit on the older hubs - if you fit one on an 11s hub you have to put a spacing washer behind the cassette. I have one installed on an XTR m970 rear hub.
  • Flanners1 wrote:
    I want to machine out an 11 speed cassette to fit my 10 speed C24's...need to visit a local engineer I guess who has a lathe.
    BigColUK wrote:
    Any ideas/options?

Thanks for any help.

This guy machine 11s cassette to fit to 10s freehub.
    http://www.lascoconcept.com/en/11s-cassette/
    We are a lot of people in montreal who are using this solution without problem.
    He ships worldwide also.