Vinyl records

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited February 2017 in The cake stop
anybody sold any recently, keep hearing there's a growing market and the thought of some new carbon hoops for the summer bike is more appealing than the black vinyl discs I have sat in a cupboard. any body sold any individually or as a collection? either fleabay or does anyone know of a simpler method to sell a batch for a lump sum?
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• Don't do it. I sold my large vinyl collection 25years ago to fund the purchase of my first "proper" bike. Although I don't regret it on a daily basis there are occasions when I really do, and it hurts. Finance your purchase another way, believe me.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Selling them on ebay is hard work and low profit. Ebay has loads, and unless it's very rare and in good condition, you won't get much for it. Postage is a right pain as well - too much packaging and it will be a medium parcel rather than a small parcel.

If you think you've got something collectible check out the prices on discogs - which is a nerds paradise, it will help you to work out whether your particular copy is rare.

Some record shops will give you a deal on boxful but don't expect to get more than a pound per disc.

I found "We Buy Books" for good for CDs and books - the prices look low but are comparable with what you would get after all the fees and postage is paid selling on ebay. I got lot more that way than selling my vinyl.
  • bianchimoon
    Don't do it. I sold my large vinyl collection 25years ago to fund the purchase of my first "proper" bike. Although I don't regret it on a daily basis there are occasions when I really do, and it hurts. Finance your purchase another way, believe me.
    Thanks Frank, Unfortunately I've spent to much recently on bike bits, so to justify it to SWMBo got to raise the money from decluttering and I don't have a deck anyway!!, LP's been sat there for 'ahem' decades i'm, probably not as sentimental as you :lol:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    mrfpb wrote:
    Selling them on ebay is hard work and low profit. Ebay has loads, and unless it's very rare and in good condition, you won't get much for it. Postage is a right pain as well - too much packaging and it will be a medium parcel rather than a small parcel.

If you think you've got something collectible check out the prices on discogs - which is a nerds paradise, it will help you to work out whether your particular copy is rare.

Some record shops will give you a deal on boxful but don't expect to get more than a pound per disc.

I found "We Buy Books" for good for CDs and books - the prices look low but are comparable with what you would get after all the fees and postage is paid selling on ebay. I got lot more that way than selling my vinyl.
    Think you're right, i'll weed out the more 'unique' ones looking at that discogs site, Jailbreak by thin lizzy
    Highest Lowest Average Median
    £31.87 £7.37 14.52 £11.55
    hmm says £3.50 on original label :)
  • I am in the middle of the very labour intensive job of transferring them all to the PC prior to selling off. As I do each album I look up the median selling price on discogs and this may be the way I sell them when I get to it. I was never into music that was popular with others so I have a lot of stuff that makes good money on there.

Example

https://www.discogs.com/Gloria-And-The- ... se/4019809

You can pretty much see if it is going to make any money by the "Haves and Wants"

My main reason for selling is that if I pop my clogs some wide boy house clearance type will offer the Mrs £100 for the lot as she will not appreciate the true worth.
  • I've just gone in the opposite direction, got myself a lovely record player & have started purchasing vinyl...(cuz i'm a hipster, or something like that...).

I'm loving it so far, treated myself to some vinyl from the internets but i'm looking forward to going into town tomorrow to hunt through some records shops!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    My local Sainsburys have just started selling vinyl. Bizarre or what?! Floyd, Beatles, Queen, The Smiths, Bowie to name a few. All near fruit and veg. I was confused.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I've just gone in the opposite direction, got myself a lovely record player & have started purchasing vinyl...(cuz i'm a hipster, or something like that...).

I'm loving it so far, treated myself to some vinyl from the internets but i'm looking forward to going into town tomorrow to hunt through some records shops!
    Make the OP an offer then, assuming similar tastes of course.

I put my vinyl and deck away when the kids started toddling, it came out again a few years ago as they were both teenagers and getting more into music. The girl isn't bothered but the lad now buys a lot of music on vinyl and uses it more than I do, both new stuff and some of my old ones. Glad I didn't get rid of it.
  • I’ve got thousands of the bugg3rs – and that’s after selling thousands of the bugg3rs. There’s a whole room in the house for my collection (and the Mrs even gave me another room for my bikes too – she’s a legend).

I was lucky enough to be involved in building Discogs (I joined at the start of 2001 when it was purely for electronic music and I’m still a moderator) so a lot of my collection was already on the site or added as and when a new one was purchased. So when they started the market place it was pretty easy to begin selling. Starting from scratch would be a nightmare and there are some unscrupulous buyers/sellers on the site now, but if you’re willing to load your releases, buy a big box of 12” cardboard mailers and make multiple trips to the PO then go for it. For my next purge I’ll be paying someone to do it for me!

I’ve got some stupidly rare stuff but I could never part with them (yet).
  • bianchimoon
    I’ve got thousands of the bugg3rs – and that’s after selling thousands of the bugg3rs. There’s a whole room in the house for my collection (and the Mrs even gave me another room for my bikes too – she’s a legend).

I was lucky enough to be involved in building Discogs (I joined at the start of 2001 when it was purely for electronic music and I’m still a moderator) so a lot of my collection was already on the site or added as and when a new one was purchased. So when they started the market place it was pretty easy to begin selling. Starting from scratch would be a nightmare and there are some unscrupulous buyers/sellers on the site now, but if you’re willing to load your releases, buy a big box of 12” cardboard mailers and make multiple trips to the PO then go for it. For my next purge I’ll be paying someone to do it for me!

Thanks, have uploaded a few to start off with, will see if any response and how much hassle it is
  • You will have to be very honest when grading the discs otherwise people will give you negative feedback. There are guides on the net on how to grade them (it's worth quoting which reference guide you used to grade against as this will give the buyers confidence).

Also, if you do have something rare, you will have to check against detailed identification descriptions for things like sleeve codes, codes in run out grooves, misspelled words, pressing numbers etc. I have some Hendrix stuff and there are endless things to check. Even more so for Beatles and Pink Floyd rarities!

Finally, some Hi-Fi forums like HiFi Wigwam and Pinkfish Media will allow you to post classified ads with a simple list of records. This could be the most straightforward way. These are subject to different conditions, so make sure you read the rules before you post (otherwise you will be jumped on (especially on the Wam!)
  • Thick Mike wrote:
    You will have to be very honest when grading the discs otherwise people will give you negative feedback. There are guides on the net on how to grade them (it's worth quoting which reference guide you used to grade against as this will give the buyers confidence).

Absolutely. Grading can ruin you.
  • I’ve got thousands of the bugg3rs – and that’s after selling thousands of the bugg3rs. There’s a whole room in the house for my collection (and the Mrs even gave me another room for my bikes too – she’s a legend).

Is Discogs pretty straightforward to use? I am not really keeping up with the digital age so need it to be simple!
  • There is an app called MilkCrate where you can use your phone to scan barcodes on the records or CDs and it uploads them to discogs automatically. Not so good if you have a big collection of 60s psych or 50s bebop though :(
  • bianchimoon
    I’ve got thousands of the bugg3rs – and that’s after selling thousands of the bugg3rs. There’s a whole room in the house for my collection (and the Mrs even gave me another room for my bikes too – she’s a legend).

Is Discogs pretty straightforward to use? I am not really keeping up with the digital age so need it to be simple!
    very simple after a convoluted registration process, just type in the name of the album you're selling, it brings all the details up, then you grade the vinyl and sleeve, choose price and post

As Mike said, you need to be 100% on the ball with the release you're entering, but it's basically:

Set up an account
    Find the record you have within the database
    Add the record/CD/tape to your collection (big button)*
    Sell the record/CD/tape (big buttons) - but you'll need to grade the item and supply your shipping terms

*I'm not 100% sure that you need to do this part now - you may be able to go straight to sales. I'll check.

It's definitely worth buying some 12" mailers and card stiffeners (easy to get on eBay) because our PO is brutal when it comes to records and if it's going offshore even more so.
  • You’ll need to factor in said mailers, postage, PayPal fees and Discogs selling fees – everyone wants a cut!
  • Some stuff might be rare but isn't that collectible. Fashions come and go, as with most stuff that is collectable. You can play it and enjoy it, sell it for peanuts or lend it to a mate for a bit. Then you can visit, have a few beers, play your records and have a laugh. But you will still have your vinyl. I gave mine away 25 years ago and still have sleepless moments over it. Luckily I have acquired more over the years including my dad's 60s stuff. Giving Revolver on mono an airing is a bit of a treat, knowing my dad bought in 1966.
    Love your vinyl, it is ace.
    Ecrasez l’infame

As Mike said, you need to be 100% on the ball with the release you're entering, but it's basically:

Set up an account
    Sell the record/CD/tape (big buttons) - but you'll need to grade the item and supply your shipping terms

*I'm not 100% sure that you need to do this part now - you may be able to go straight to sales. I'll check.

It's definitely worth buying some 12" mailers and card stiffeners (easy to get on eBay) because our PO is brutal when it comes to records and if it's going offshore even more so.

Thanks for your help, one more thing, if you have a version that isn't on there do you take all the pictures and upload yourself or do you send to admin and they do it. For instance all the versions of this lp have green labels

https://www.discogs.com/Culture-Two-Sev ... se/1389578

When you look at the images the records themselves all have green labels, the copy I have has red labels and can't find it on there.

Set up an account

Thanks for your help, one more thing, if you have a version that isn't on there do you take all the pictures and upload yourself or do you send to admin and they do it. For instance all the versions of this lp have green labels

When you look at the images the records themselves all have green labels, the copy I have has red labels and can't find it on there.

Hi Frank - sorry was away on the very West Coast of Scotland for the weekend where it's pretty much No-G and dial up speeds.

Have you checked all the release and cross referenced your catalogue number? They might not have the photos but they might have the release:

https://www.discogs.com/Culture-Two-Sev ... ter/109825

If it's not it can be submitted (that would be yourself) and then the mods would check it and push it through.
  • I am in the middle of the very labour intensive job of transferring them all to the PC prior to selling off. As I do each album I look up the median selling price on discogs and this may be the way I sell them when I get to it. I was never into music that was popular with others so I have a lot of stuff that makes good money on there.

Example

You can pretty much see if it is going to make any money by the "Haves and Wants"

My main reason for selling is that if I pop my clogs some wide boy house clearance type will offer the Mrs £100 for the lot as she will not appreciate the true worth.

Please make multiple backups of your sound files.
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations

Set up an account

Hi Frank - sorry was away on the very West Coast of Scotland for the weekend where it's pretty much No-G and dial up speeds.

Have you checked all the release and cross referenced your catalogue number? They might not have the photos but they might have the release:

https://www.discogs.com/Culture-Two-Sev ... ter/109825

If it's not it can be submitted (that would be yourself) and then the mods would check it and push it through.

Many thanks for all your help.
  • Moontrane wrote:
    I am in the middle of the very labour intensive job of transferring them all to the PC prior to selling off. As I do each album I look up the median selling price on discogs and this may be the way I sell them when I get to it. I was never into music that was popular with others so I have a lot of stuff that makes good money on there.

Example

Please make multiple backups of your sound files.

Certainly have Moontrane, each collection of singles and each album I put onto a CD, obviously they are all on my PC but also I have save a copy of each recording to an external hard drive, so hopefully am covered.