File tread recommendation

othello
othello Posts: 577
edited April 2017 in Cyclocross
In the spirit of being positive, I'm thinking of the summer and hard fast CX courses :D

What file treads (clinchers) do people go for, considering they might get limited use? Chicanes, or Griffo XS? Something else?

Any other tips for riding hard ground in the summer or early season? I guess tyre pressures a little higher to avoid pinch punctures with clinchers?
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

Comments

• Vittoria XN?

Incidentally I have a pair (clinchers) which I have used a couple of times... if you want them...
    left the forum March 2023
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Gravel Grinder open tubular clincher worked well for me over summer. Couple of times this year during the league proper I wish I had them on rather than Griffo tubs as most of the early/middle rounds might have only had 1 or 2 localised mud patches.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    For hard ground - Clement LAS, or Xplor USH or Xplor MSO - all worth a look.
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    I've got some Challenge Almanzo Pro. Grifo XS rebranded for the gravel market, and in a better colour :)
    Gravel Grinder looks like a wider Chicane to my eyes. I do like tan sidewalls.
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    edited February 2017
    Vittoria XN?

Incidentally I have a pair (clinchers) which I have used a couple of times... if you want them...

Vittoria XN are pretty poor at low pressures. I know you're not likely to run them too low in the dry hard conditions but I'd avoid them.

I've got a pair of them in tubular flavour on my grass track bike and anything below 25psi they're scary. I definitely wouldn't want to use them for cross.

Chicanes are good in clincher or tub. I use the clincher version for early season races and they are fast but you can also really trust the lugs in cornering. Bontrager CX0 look good too and set up well tubeless. These will be my tyre for the Three Peaks this year if I get in again.
  • devhads wrote:
    Vittoria XN?

Vittoria XN are pretty poor at low pressures. I know you're not likely to run them too low in the dry hard conditions but I'd avoid them.

I've got a pair of them in tubular flavour on my grass track bike and anything below 25psi they're scary. I definitely wouldn't want to use them for cross.

Why would you run a filed tyre for dry terrain below 25 PSI?
    left the forum March 2023
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    devhads wrote:
    Vittoria XN?

Why would you run a filed tyre for dry terrain below 25 PSI?

Mainly for comfort on hard bumpy ground but also for better rolling resistance on said bumpy ground and for cornering grip.

They're the only tyre I've ever used that grip improves with increased pressure. I know this is a CX question but I use them for grass track which if you haven't heard of it before is what it says, track bikes on a grass oval. Most people run tubs at low pressures for the above reasons. The first time I used them my back wheel was all over the place, which until you get used to it is a bit disconcerting on a fixed wheel bike in a bunch at 25-30mph. I asked some seasoned riders including national champions about it and they all said, take a bit of pressure out, I did, they got worse. I tried higher pressures they got better. That's why I wouldn't recommend them. An off road tyre that loses grip with reduced pressures kind of defeats the object whatever conditions you're using them in. It might just be the tubulars that do this.I still have them on my grass track bike as I've got used to the slidy back wheel, it kind of freaks out those people on my wheel but that's not necessarily a bad thing
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Yup, avoid the Vittorias. Not sure why but they got their CX offering woefully wrong.

Chicanes are really good, and they are more versatile than other file treads, if for example there is a chance of rain, or there is a couple of wet sections on an otherwise dry course.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    VamP wrote:
    Yup, avoid the Vittorias. Not sure why but they got their CX offering woefully wrong.

Chicanes are really good, and they are more versatile than other file treads, if for example there is a chance of rain, or there is a couple of wet sections on an otherwise dry course.
    ^ Listen to this man. He uses file treads literally all the time...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 577
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like Chicanes might fit the bill. I'll keep an eye out in the sales! :D
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Halfords Ebay shop have got folding Conti X-Speeds in for £13 each if you want something cheap. Just bought a pair for the training bike.
  • Chicane looks to have slightly more prominent shoulder knobs than the Clement LAS which I have used and found to be remarkably grippy on suitable terrain. Doubt you will go wrong with either of them
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Yeah, the Chicane side knobs are same as the Limus. The Chicane is really an intermediate tyre, albeit a quick one. I have found decent grip in mud with them - you have to remember to lean them over though :D