Final Year Design Project

shepdesigns26
shepdesigns26 Posts: 3
edited March 2017 in Road general
I am currently in my final year of product design at Nottingham Trent University. I am researching in cyclist issues and most common problems faced by road cyclists and commuters. I asking if people could tell me about their common or day-to-day cycle issues, or have any ideas on problems that require a solution.

Any feedback would be greatly appropriated and ill keep people updated on my projects progress.

Many thanks

Tom Sheppard

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Main issue is that I'm not as young as I was :wink:
  • I mainly use bicycle lights during the winter. I get cold hands (borderline Raynaud's).

Bicycle light manufacturers are unable to design a light with a button that is easily operated with winter gloves on. I always have to remove them and then my fingers freeze! I've obviously not tried every light in existence but this is true of the Cateye, Lezyne, Moon and Exposure lights I've owned.

Not sure if that's what you are after but it ****s me off repeatedly from about October-April every year when I commute. :evil:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Those of us who need headlights to see by need properly lensed lights and full beam/dimmed settings just like cars.
  • I mainly use bicycle lights during the winter. I get cold hands (borderline Raynaud's).

Bicycle light manufacturers are unable to design a light with a button that is easily operated with winter gloves on. I always have to remove them and then my fingers freeze! I've obviously not tried every light in existence but this is true of the Cateye, Lezyne, Moon and Exposure lights I've owned.

Not sure if that's what you are after but it ****s me off repeatedly from about October-April every year when I commute. :evil:

It's because the button need to be waterproofed, hence covered in rubber. I think touch screen might play a role (not necessarily capacitive, but maybe piezoelectric, which can be operated with gloves on)
    left the forum March 2023
  • Winter jackets that are too thick at the back and with a backpack on make you very sweaty. Lighter jackets are a bit too thin at the front so it gets chilly. Although I have never actually searched if there is a jacket that is thicker at the front, thinner at the back.
  • fatsmoker wrote:
    Winter jackets that are too thick at the back and with a backpack on make you very sweaty. Lighter jackets are a bit too thin at the front so it gets chilly. Although I have never actually searched if there is a jacket that is thicker at the front, thinner at the back.

The old Assos 851 was just like that. Thicker windproof at the front and thinner elsewhere
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    fatsmoker wrote:
    Winter jackets that are too thick at the back and with a backpack on make you very sweaty. Lighter jackets are a bit too thin at the front so it gets chilly. Although I have never actually searched if there is a jacket that is thicker at the front, thinner at the back.

The old Assos 851 was just like that. Thicker windproof at the front and thinner elsewhere

There's a lot of cycling stuff like that, my Gore softshell included. Thick, warm windstopper front and arms, and a very thin back you can see through if you hold it up to the light. Breathes very well.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    My most common cycling problems are not being able to keep up with my fast riding buddies.

One thing I have searched for an can't find is a single roof mounted bike carrier that doesn't need cross bars. A lot of cars have roof rails fitted - the front to back part - but if I want to take one or two bikes on the roof, I aparently first need to buy cross bars and then a bike carrier to fit to the cross bars. Why can I not simply fit a single bike carrier onto the roof rail itself - one each side is all I need.
  • Singleton wrote:
    One thing I have searched for an can't find is a single roof mounted bike carrier that doesn't need cross bars. A lot of cars have roof rails fitted - the front to back part - but if I want to take one or two bikes on the roof, I aparently first need to buy cross bars and then a bike carrier to fit to the cross bars. Why can I not simply fit a single bike carrier onto the roof rail itself - one each side is all I need.

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/bike plenty uk retailers.

OP - dream product for me would be a waterproof jacket that actually does breathe at high intensity exercise
  • Something I have thought about. I recently only had one bike for the winter, which I used for general commuting and also longer spins. This had SPDs on it, and since I was't going to change the pedals every time I wanted to go to the shops, or put on my cycling shoes every time, I just used whatever shoes I had on. This led to my feet slipping off the pedals etc. and was pretty hairy at times.

How about designing a pedal that slots into these clipless pedals? I have seen some on ebay I think but they had terrible reviews.

The remote button on my Moon lights works brilliantly with winter gloves:

product_552.jpg

I think it's a feature on a fair few light brands.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Those of us who need headlights to see by need properly lensed lights and full beam/dimmed settings just like cars.

Proper lenses and plenty of settings to use - https://dinglights.com/collections/all
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Singleton wrote:
    My most common cycling problems are not being able to keep up with my fast riding buddies.

What about one of those hooked bungee cords people used to have for luggage. One round your head tube and hook onto their saddle. Simples ¬!
  • Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments, they will be very helpful :).

Does anyone use air filter masks when they are riding on the road? I got one but I am thinking of improving it or integrating it in to a helmet. One of many ideas in the works.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No.

Although on reflection...

Still no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mapaputsi
    Mapaputsi Posts: 104
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments, they will be very helpful :).

Does anyone use air filter masks when they are riding on the road? I got one but I am thinking of improving it or integrating it in to a helmet. One of many ideas in the works.

I get hot enough using my buff, can't imagine how hot an air filter mask would be over my mouth :lol: