Voodoo hoodoo not a mtb

nathan.d
nathan.d Posts: 8
edited February 2017 in MTB beginners
Hi all new to all this picked myself up a voodoo hoodoo after not being on a bike since I was 17. Brought the hoodoo after reading good reviews on here. Now to the point was in a lbs buying a few bits and asked about local trails and nice places to ride as new to the area when I was asked what bike I had said I've got a hoodoo to be told oh that's not a proper mtb have also been told this by a work mate who said I would never be able to take it on a trail as it ain't cut out for that.
The reason I brought the hoodoo is to commute to work and do some local trails aswell now I'm thinking I maybe should of spent a bit more

Comments

• jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Ignore them, they have no idea what they're talking about.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Your LBS and your mate is/are idiots.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What they said.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nathan.d
    nathan.d Posts: 8
    edited March 2017
    Thanks all it was a bargain really it's the model between the one in the review and the new blue one if I really get the bug c2w is due this year at work so might take a look at that
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Hoodoo is a good bike and can cope with all the terrain you want to inflict on it. Leaving it outdoors is not a problem - keep it clean and maintained and don't live in Liverpool.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Be interesting to see what bike they sell that the LBS suggests as a proper MTB, as most brand name bikes you will be spending twice as much just to match the spec of a Hoodoo.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Be interesting to see what bike they sell that the LBS suggests as a proper MTB, as most brand name bikes you will be spending twice as much just to match the spec of a Hoodoo.
    I was told if I want to go off-road I should really get something like a giant trance or cube stereo funny that they sell both bikes
  • The Rookie
    If I was doing a cross country race the £500 hoodoo would be better than the circa £1500 Trance, it depends on what mountain biking is to you! They are either stupid or trying to rip you off, or both, neither is the sort of outlet that gets my business.

Whenever I'm down my local Giant shop with it they always complement my 2006 Litespeed as it is very good at what it's designed to do although it certainly wouldn't suite everyone.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Danieljephcott
    Danieljephcott Posts: 334
    edited January 2017
    I bought a hoodoo about 7 months ago and I chucked a dropper post on it and have been to loads of trail centres.

The hoodoo is a fantastic bike for the money and you should be able to do any trail centre on this bike.

I upgraded recently to a full suspension bike because...well I could :). Yes my full sus being a much better spec is a better bike and I'm faster and more confident on it but the hoodoo would be able to do the same as my full sus would
  • The Rookie
    #trail
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    The hoodoo is a bloody good bike for it's price, two of my friends have them (the blue 2016 version), and I have a Giant Trance, they don't have any complaints and ride trail centres on them fine, have even tackled Bike Park Wales on them. Would usually suggest supporting your LBS but if they're just belittling you like that then I would go elsewhere from now on. Stick with the hoodoo for a while, practice your riding, save your pennies and when you're good and ready upgrade to a bike to better suit your new skills. Overall it's a fun bike so go and have fun!
  • Tone C
    Tone C Posts: 30
    Nothing wrong with Hoodoo. That Joe Murray guy used to have some okay ideas about mountain bikes....dunno if he still designs them though.
  • Pretty sure it's just a legality,look in the small print of your cheapish hardtail. Pretty sure they say it's specifically a "light trail/x-country bike" .I assume thats to protect themselves from customers running down a 20,000ft mountain,or a 20ft drop.
  • cooldad
    More likely says Not for Downhill use.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Decathalon 900,@ £699.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-9 ... 66620.html

Stroll down to Composition avice/Restricted use.
    Quote,"Not suitable for "BMX, dirt and freeride use".

To keep profits up and legal action down,Im pretty sure nearly ALL hardtail "mountain bike" manufacturers quote the same thing!!

And to be fair,95% of "mountain bike" riders only use their bikes for very light trails/ occasional heavy landings.
    I bought a Marin Northside trail which is a cross between a "mountain bike" and a stunt jumper.(super heavy duty mountain bike)..They dont make em any more....
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    My old forks has a 'for leisure use' warning sticker,

572933d1286566717-biking-equipment-warning-labels-forklabel.jpg

my newer ones that are an upgrade had a similar sticker that said 'for XC/freeride, not DH.

Think it's to do with the fork spec, and just a legal disclaimer.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Nathan.D wrote:
    d oh that's not a proper mtb have also been told this by a work mate who said I would never be able to take it on a trail as it ain't cut out for that.

Usualy spouted by people who spent 3 grand on a Santa Cruz thats never been near a trail in its life. :lol:

Meanwhile, my £250 bike on the mary townely loop, I have since replaced the pink 'hello kitty' bell with a more manly Batman bell.

FB_IMG_1487950500086_zpshlfjnzbj.jpg

FB_IMG_1487950724424_zpshrucijyz.jpg
  • Tone C wrote:
    Nothing wrong with Hoodoo. That Joe Murray guy used to have some okay ideas about mountain bikes....dunno if he still designs them though.

Joe Murray does indeed still design the frames for voodoo and a sterling job he has done. I can't recommend my Bizango enough.

With regards to your LBS, stuff um and find another place to take your business.
  • apcmtb
    apcmtb Posts: 53
    Nathan.D wrote:
    Now to the point was in a lbs buying a few bits and asked about local trails and nice places to ride as new to the area when I was asked what bike I had said I've got a hoodoo to be told oh that's not a proper mtb have also been told this by a work mate who said I would never be able to take it on a trail as it ain't cut out for that.

What an odd LBS :roll: , surely any owner with any sense and wanting repeat business would want to make Cycling all inclusive, seems he's only blinkered by 'tell him it's not fit for purpose, so I can flog him another bike.

Change the LBS
    Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all
  • RichardSmart
    RichardSmart Posts: 387
    edited February 2017
    Nathan.D wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    I was told if I want to go off-road I should really get something like a giant trance or cube stereo funny that they sell both bikes

Sure, the Trance is a nice bike, so is the Cube, but the Hoodoo is excellent, and brilliant value-for-money - that's the one I would go for on your budget... Not to mention that the Hoodoo won the "Total Bargain" award from BikeRadar in 2012. Plus, the Hoodoo is a hardtail, while the Trance and Stereo are full-sussers - which means that they are heavier and will (eventually!) need more maintenance.
  • And just how into his (or her) mountain-biking is your colleague? Because it does sound like they don't know bum from breakfast-time or sh1t from shinola, while at the same time they have managed to mislay their "Ass/Elbow Differentiation Diagram"...
  • The Rookie
    What colleague?
  • I guess that there is a lot of snobbery out there, isn't there? As long as whoever is using the bike is getting out, getting some exercise and enjoying themselves, I can't really understand what the problem is - we're not all lucky enough to be able to afford a six-, or even a two-thousand pound mountain bike, and it's definitely one of the best, most inclusive activities going, isn't it?
  • The Rookie
    True, but my point was you mentioned a colleague, which is nothing to do with this thread as it was a random bike shop staff....
  • cooldad
    From the OP
    Nathan.D wrote:
    ...have also been told this by a work mate who said I would never be able to take it on a trail as it ain't cut out for that.

I think a work mate is similar to a colleague. Unless it's made by Black and Decker.

Although the OP seems to be satisfied as he last commented a month ago.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools