Cranck bearing

asaf123098
asaf123098 Posts: 33
edited March 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, when i pedal my cranck bearing makes noise, does it mean it wore out? Or does it just need to be re greased?

And also, is there a good grease i can get on ebay?
Thanks!!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It depends on the bottom bracket. Most are not really serviceable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What bottom bracket? What Crank?

Is it the bottom bracket or a pedal bearing (hard to tell apart).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi, im pretty sure its the bottom bracket, my pedals are hardly one month old..
    As for the bottom bracket, im not sure what it is.

This is my bike:
    http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bike ... 0-164.html
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The bit that goes through the frame that the cranks bolt on to. In your case a Shimano Octolink. You'll need the right tools to remove the cranks, and to remove and fit the new BB.
    BB needs to be the same axle length as fitted.
    Unusual though, they normally last for ever. Unless jetwashed..
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • My bb es30 octalink creaks and it's brand new, I thought maybe the half splines are the issue as the crank arms don't ultilise the cartridge fully, seems like a bad design.

I use marine grease, it stops water getting to the bearings, you could always try greasing it up and refitting it, one of the crank arms might have come loose, it's worth a shot.
  • It actually makes sense that i might have jet washed it when i didnt know it might cause damage, anyway, i think ill take it off, regrease it and hope for good,
    And as for the grease, could you maybe send me a link to ebay for that?
    Thanks for your help!!
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    asaf123098 wrote:
    It actually makes sense that i might have jet washed it when i didnt know it might cause damage, anyway, i think ill take it off, regrease it and hope for good,
    And as for the grease, could you maybe send me a link to ebay for that?
    Thanks for your help!!

It might be too much damage has been done if it's been run with no grease in it, so just get something cheap, standard bearing grease from Halfords or local motosave.

Or of you want a better grease something like this
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobil-Grease-XHP222-Lithium-Complex-Grease-390g-/161406096443?nav=SEARCH