Some 4 interval duration

broshaughnessy
broshaughnessy Posts: 18
Hey, everyone. I've been doing zone 4 interval workouts recently in an attempt to increase my FTP. My question is would it be better to do 2x30 minute intervals or 3x20 if my goal is to improve FTP. Thanks.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Hey, everyone. I've been doing zone 4 interval workouts recently in an attempt to increase my FTP. My question is would it be better to do 2x30 minute intervals or 3x20 if my goal is to improve FTP. Thanks.

Depends on how often you intend to repeat the intervals and what other riding you do in the rest of the week.
  • I'm doing exclusively zone 4 work right now and 3 workouts per week.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    You will become good at doing 20 minute intervals then.
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    If you are doing 3 sessions of 2x30 or 3x20, then I think that you are probably doing them at too low a power to benefit as you wouldn't be able to recover enough to keep this load up. I would change two of them to above threshold sessions such as 4 x 5 x 30 with 30 secs between efforts and 4 mins between sets and a session of long high gear grinds up a five minute hill x 5 and change the third to a long easy ride. Having said that, different things suit different people.
  • I suspect the answer is that it makes very little difference. I think the gaps between the intervals are mostly there to stop you going mad (esp. if you're doing it on a turbo). An hour's worth of SST is not that hard (the whole point of it is its repeatability), in the grand scheme of things (assuming you've progressively built up to it).
  • I suspect the answer is that it makes very little difference.
    This