Cantilever Brakes

imatfaal
imatfaal Posts: 2,716
edited February 2017 in Cyclocross
Apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum but this seemed to be the best place. I am looking for a better set of cantilever brakes - I love my cross-bike but the cantilever brakes are a real pain (and n+1 is not an option). I am using Shimano Cx-70 brakes at present and they are ok but every so often they go digital - ie on/off with no in-between. I haven't been able to work out what the combo of circumstances is that makes them lose all modulation.

I ride the bike on a pretty even mix of tarmac, gravel, and crumby paths - no real cyclo-cross tho.

Is there a solution just waiting for me to open my wallet or is this just the nature of the beast?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,097
    A well set up pair of cantilevers are a joy to behold. But getting them well set up is a black art.

I've tried various models but the best I've used were the Avid Shorty Ultimate. The set up procedure is quite complicated, but once you know how they work you can adjust them in a few minutes. The performance is a joy, with excellent modulation and sheer stopping power when required.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    You could try mini v?
  • imatfaal wrote:
    Apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum but this seemed to be the best place. I am looking for a better set of cantilever brakes - I love my cross-bike but the cantilever brakes are a real pain (and n+1 is not an option). I am using Shimano Cx-70 brakes at present and they are ok but every so often they go digital - ie on/off with no in-between. I haven't been able to work out what the combo of circumstances is that makes them lose all modulation.

I ride the bike on a pretty even mix of tarmac, gravel, and crumby paths - no real cyclo-cross tho.

Is there a solution just waiting for me to open my wallet or is this just the nature of the beast?

Thanks for the help

I have tektro mini-v's on my old cross bike. this is what you call modulation plus you use any break pads you like. the drawback is that you can only use them with up to 35c tyres for clearing the mud, but if you have no mud, up to 40c barely.
    F_201509230943478Ktzk1.JPG
    If you insist on cantis I recomend avid shorty
    2012-shorty_6tm_rim_brake-no_desc-en_0.jpg
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Why do they lose modulation any how does it come back? My shimano cantis are fine.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    If you plan on sticking with canti's Shorty Ultimates really are worth the investment. Fantastically easy to setup and fine tune - such a clever design.
    If you are less concerned by mud clearance mini V's are useful, however they are fiddly to setup and you have to run the pad very close to the rim to get any modulation.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    thanks for the suggestions. So first option is to learn how to setup properly - research is required. Will report back with any progress.
  • tsarouxaz
    tsarouxaz Posts: 70
    edited March 2017
    imatfaal wrote:
    thanks for the suggestions. So first option is to learn how to setup properly - research is required. Will report back with any progress.

cantis need two things: the triangle angle so the force is applied to the maximum while maintaining the least lever stroke, plus the pad engagement sync, meaning the pads should touch the rim at the same time. stick to the manufacturers manual for that angle and you will be amazed with the modulation you will have.
  • Love the avid shortys
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I use v-brake pads on my caadx and I found it improved the braking feel and power. I use a bit of toe in which seems to help.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    My son has CX-70s on his Crux and they seem pretty good. Not a hard bite but then he likes to drag the brakes slightly.

But as people say, the key with canto's is set-up and getting the straddle angle 'just so'.

Friends that have Avid Ultimates claim they are the best CX canti brakes bar none.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • imatfaal wrote:

Thanks for the help

have you tried posher pads? I have a cheap and cheerful CX bike stock and cheaper pads in the cantis is frankly terrifying poor, but with Kool Stops Salmons they merely mildly worrying in fairness I'm comparing to my MTB's with 180mm disks and so on.