75 miles, 3 weeks' time

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited March 2017 in Road beginners
So I have done it again. Signed up for a long ride in spring then had training wrecked by illness and other matters - in this case, marriage break up so I get kids every other weekend.

I can probably do 40 miles at the mo' , but it's a tough ride and a couple of colleagues are also signed up; if it was just me I would bail. What to do?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• SecretSam wrote:
    So I have done it again. Signed up for a long ride in spring then had training wrecked by illness and other matters - in this case, marriage break up so I get kids every other weekend.

I can probably do 40 miles at the mo' , but it's a tough ride and a couple of colleagues are also signed up; if it was just me I would bail. What to do?

Just do it, what's the worst that can happen. If you can do 40, you have some fitness.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it's a hilly 75 miles and you're currently only doing 40 on the flat, and you have the kids for 2 of the 3 available weekends and can't ride..?

Alternatively if you're already managing a hilly 40 then 75 isn't much of a jump if you take it easy and eat / drink enough. Only you can know really.

Is there an option to bail out and do a shorter route on the day if you blow up completely?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Just do it. It'll take your mind off other matters. It's not as if you've added your name to a K2 expedition.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If your colleagues are fitter then I'd bail.

If they aren't then its alot easier to go longer at a slower speed than you're used to.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    If you back off a bit then you should be able to go a lot further.
    Give it a go.
  • secretsam
    Garry H wrote:
    It's not as if you've added your name to a K2 expedition.

Ah, now you come to mention it... :lol:

• Garry H
    SecretSam wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    It's not as if you've added your name to a K2 expedition.

Ah, now you come to mention it... :lol:

Go for it.just wear an extra pair of socks, you'll be fine :wink:
  • If you can't train so much between now and the event why not focous on something else like shedding a pound or three* as it might make the riding** easier.

*Assumption. You might be as thin as a rake.

**and it might help you get laid in the absence of a marriage.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • secretsam
    If you can't train so much between now and the event why not focous on something else like shedding a pound or three* as it might make the riding** easier.

In progress :oops:
    *Assumption. You might be as thin as a rake.

Not since birth, sadly
    **and it might help you get laid in the absence of a marriage.

:lol: :twisted: :oops:

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Pacing, look at the route see where the hills are an plan accordingly, just ride within your limits join a train if you can (an take your turn up front).

If there is a feed station a 15 minute break an sit off the bike will do wonders.
  • Start small and build up... what I mean is before you sign up for K2, make sure you have a go at the Eiger Northwand
    left the forum March 2023
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I think you're a very brave man K2 is a much more technical climb than everest, I'd consider supplemental oxygen.

BTW take your bike the road the chinese have built to base camp looks a decent ride
    http://stories.strava.com/strava-on-mt- ... os/2831916
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Garry H
    I think you're a very brave man K2 is a much more technical climb than everest, I'd consider supplemental oxygen.

BTW take your bike the road the chinese have built to base camp looks a decent ride
    http://stories.strava.com/strava-on-mt- ... os/2831916

Meh! It's pi55 easy. Did it just yesterday there, and this morning. No oxygen either, I actually just held my breath, all the way to the top.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    @OP -it depends on your state of mind and if you like suffering as it will hurt. How much depends on your approach, taking it easy, spinning and not going too high with your heart rate and fuelling adequately means you should be fine. Forget about average speed and keeping up with whoever, it's about smiles per mile and you've not mentioned the route? Is it visually stunning and uses quiet roads?

Go too quick to early then your in for a world of pain and you'll get an intimate view of your stem and front wheel.

It'll be a good ride to kick start your system and get back on the bike. Enjoy.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    I think SS has died a death on his mamoth ride.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    I think SS has died a death on his mamoth ride.

Either that or his ex has done him in. :shock:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Nah - he's still on the ride ... 40 miles in, just trying to recover ... :)
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Stepping from 40 miles up to 75 miles is nothing to be overly concerned about. If you're fit enough for 40 miles, you're fit enough for 75 in my opinion. The thing you may find, is that you are starting to get to the distance / duration where it becomes a bit more difficult mentally, to justify your reasoning to your self. You may have to be more careful to avoid routing yourself anywhere that a train / friend evacuation is possible. Essentially route to somewhere which leaves you no option but to continue riding, at least to a point where bailing would be pointless ( more hassle to bail, than to carry on).
  • INPTT
    INPTT Posts: 16
    I always bring a couple snacks with me when I go on rides over 20 miles.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    1. It takes as long as it takes. I reckon most people can do more than they believe, it would just take all day. On a very good day, I would set myself at least 4 hours minimum moving time for 62 miles (100km) and over 6 hours moving time for 100 miles, add stops on top of that time.

2. Pace yourself, cycling with an easy intensity. Save the fast efforts for short rides

3. Have a decent breakfast, like porridge and have some energy bars in your jersey pocket to eat 1 hr 30 to 2 hours in.

I once did a 100 mile sportive with mates and we stopped off at a cafe part way around the course for lunch. Nothing wrong with that, still completed the course.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby