Spare hanger geekery

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited February 2017 in Road general
Is it worth getting one for all bikes owned before they get old then you can't source them anymore?

Im thinking its sensible esp for my cx bike, but then I a don't want to pay loads (one for each different bike roadd cx winter bike etc) for hangers I may never use :roll:

EDIT: Just googled for hangers for my road & cx bike & can't find any easily avaible for either anyway :roll:

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Depends. Wheels Manufacturing make a vast range of hangers - the trick is to work out which one suits your bike. http://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hangers.html. If they have it, then it certainly doesn't hurt to buy one, but of course that depends on your budget and how many bikes we're talking about.
  • Never a bad idea to have one, because sods law says it'll break right when it's maximally inconvenient and they'll be on backorder for a month...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never needed one in thirty years plus of cycling but that said for the sake of a couple of quid..
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    had to buy my first ever in many, many years of cycling after a crash last week, winter bike was off the road for 5 days waiting for delivery as couldn't buy one locally... £20 lot of money for a little bit of aluminium, but the old one did what it was supposed to do and saved the cost of a derailleur, I saw quiet a few for my bike that looked like they'd been made by a bloke in a garage, could be an expensive mistake if they need to do the job they're designed to
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Union GH series off Ebay a bit cheaper. 7.99
    100 - does for Cannondales
    080 for lots of assorted frames incl PX RT80
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I keep thinking the same. The older my bikes become the harder it's going to be to track one down if I need one.

I had to buy one for my CR1 about 3 months after I built it up. Moving a wheelie bin in the garage I caught a pedal but didn't realise till the bike hit the concrete, expensive side down. Quick faff with the gears told me it was properly bent so I just went straight indoors and ordered another Scott original hanger from Westbrooks.

The Racelight Tk has given me 2 clipless moments, and one of those must've bent the hanger. I did manage to straighten it, but I assume it is now weaker and if it happens again it will likely be terminal. The frame's 10 years old; I really ought to buy one while I still can.

£15-£20 seems a lot for something I may never use, but the alternative of having to bin an otherwise sound frame would be worse. I'll think of it as insurance. That's something I pay a fortune for and hardly ever use. Actually put like that it seems pretty good VFM :D
  • Superstar have bargain ones if you can work out which you need.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    You should carry one all the time especially when abroad. Pilo in Israel will make one to match if you send the old one. If they become bent and then straightened they sometimes arent stiff enough to cope with the sensitivity of 11 speed drive trains. Ive upgraded a Cervelo hanger to a Wheels to improve shifting.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I dealt with this issue in a way that (in all modesty) I think is sufficiently inventive and novel to warrant a post on this forum:

Thinking in an holistic way, I went way beyond the potential need for a mere hanger. I bought an entire spare bicycle.

It turned out that as the years passed, my planning was unnecessary. I never needed that spare hanger.

However, it also turned out that my planning was poor. The spare bicycle had a hanger that would not have fitted the original.

This may be because the original wore Campag while the 'spares' bike wore Shimano. It may also be because the spare was what they call a Mountain Bike.

Unthwarted, I bought another spare. This was a road bicycle equipped with Campag moving parts.... but sadly had only one gear and thus no hanger.

I am now seventeen bicycles into my quest for the perfect solution.

And I am no nearer my goal.

But I am enjoying the journey.
  • canamdad
    canamdad Posts: 165
    Well, you could perhaps get one of these for emergency if you have bikes with lots of different hangers:http://problemsolversbike.com/products/shifters-derailleurs/universal_-_21655
  • Moonbiker
    Are there any hangers available for a ribble evo pro carbon my google skills are letting me down?
  • Take a browse through the Wheel Manufacturing site - they have pics of the 100+ hangers they make - you should be able to suss out likely candidates.

Or even ask Ribble.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Always carry one in my MTB kit plus a generic emergency hanger as I have very unorganised friends.
    I keep a spare for the road bike at home, if it breaks while I'm out Ill bodge it to a single speed an get home.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I always take a spare hanger on a multi-day trip or holiday......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • I guess they're like tyre boots. Buy a load and you'll never need them. Don't and you know what's going to happen next ride...

On my recommendation above for Superstar, I needed a hanger for a PlanetX and they were around half the price.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    All this talk of needing a spare hanger has got me worried as I haven't got one for any of my bikes. So I looked on those sites listed above and I can't find one for a Orbea Orca Silver 2012. It appears to be a hanger and cable guide all in one, any suggestions.
  • Moonbiker
    Found one google took 1 minute:

http://www.xxcycle.com/orbea-orca-frame ... 32,,en.php

For the ribble though no luck but I haven't emailed etc them as its a hassle.....
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Ribble do (did at least) have a habit of upgrading frames, and then no longer stocking the hangers to fit, so you can end up with a relatively newish frame that they no longer stock the hanger for!
    I have only ever broken one hanger, but now keep a spare for both my Ribbles. And yes, they are different.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Found one google took 1 minute:

http://www.xxcycle.com/orbea-orca-frame ... 32,,en.php

For the ribble though no luck but I haven't emailed etc them as its a hassle.....
    Thanks much appreciated
    Ordered one
    What are you like at finding presents for the missus :D
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    I've always ordered a spare hanger when buying a new bike except the first bike. At that point I didn't know what a hanger was and what it did. Shortly after buying the first bike the rear derailleur and the spokes did a tango and the hanger twisted. It was just before Xmas and it took me almost 5 weeks to find/obtain a replacement.

Thereafter I bought one with each new bike.

With 3 road bikes and one MTB I have had one more RD/spokes interface since and was back on the road within a few days. The spare hanger could then be ordered at my leisure.

For the sake of £15 each it is money well invested.