VERY tight Shimano 5700/5701 Front Shifter?

markybains
markybains Posts: 37
edited February 2017 in Workshop
I snapped a front mech cage last August on my Shimano 105 set-up and fitted a new one a week or two later. It is 105 5700/5701 and since I have noticed that it is quite a lot harder to shift. Certainly compared to bikes I have with 105 5800 and Ultegra 6800 and even a Claris? Any ideas why?

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    It'd be expected to be harder to shift than 5800/6800- they changed the pull ratio and design of the front derailleur specifically to make it easier to shift with the newer groupsets.

Have you checked the cable tension? If the cable tension is too low then it'll made it considerably harder to upshift.

If it isn't that, then it is probably friction somewhere along the cable run, which the 5700 groupset is very sensitive to - replace cables and outers, make sure you use high quality kit - the shimano teflon lined cables are a good bet.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd echo the above, plus Claris has external cables rather than under bar tape routing, so that too could easily be easier than 5700.

Last time I had stiff front shifting (5600)it turned out to be too much tension in the cable, and it eventually knackered the shifter. Thank god for Ebay!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Have you clamped the cable furthest away from the frame downtube or next to the downtube?
    Try close to the frame ... otherwise cable is snagged somewhere.
    105 is usually very easy to shift
  • markybains wrote:
    I snapped a front mech cage last August on my Shimano 105 set-up and fitted a new one a week or two later. It is 105 5700/5701 and since I have noticed that it is quite a lot harder to shift. Certainly compared to bikes I have with 105 5800 and Ultegra 6800 and even a Claris? Any ideas why?

what was the original front mech? was it the same that you put now? I need some info on that.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    markybains wrote:
    Any ideas why?
    How is the cable routed onto the mech? Shimano-105-5700-Front-Derailleur-Mech-10-Speed-_57.jpg
    Try putting it over the swelling by the clamping screw so it gives the cable more leverage.
  • TimothyW wrote:
    It'd be expected to be harder to shift than 5800/6800- they changed the pull ratio and design of the front derailleur specifically to make it easier to shift with the newer groupsets.

Have you checked the cable tension? If the cable tension is too low then it'll made it considerably harder to upshift.

If it isn't that, then it is probably friction somewhere along the cable run, which the 5700 groupset is very sensitive to - replace cables and outers, make sure you use high quality kit - the shimano teflon lined cables are a good bet.

Ah okay, so at least I can expect it to be a bit harder to shift. I'm going to experiment with the clamp point later and will post if its a bit easier.

An thoughts on the cable routing through the shifter? Looks to me like there are two options.
  • tsarouxaz wrote:
    markybains wrote:

what was the original front mech? was it the same that you put now? I need some info on that.

Thanks for you reply. Like for like swap with the shifter.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    markybains wrote:
    Any ideas why?
    How is the cable routed onto the mech? Shimano-105-5700-Front-Derailleur-Mech-10-Speed-_57.jpg
    Try putting it over the swelling by the clamping screw so it gives the cable more leverage.

I have it around the front! Doh, this sounds promising!!!
  • http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-5LW0B-001-ENG.PDF

this will give you your answer.