Mersey roads 24hr

cycleclinic
cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
Well a screw or two must have fallen out. I have entered. I wont be using a tt bike or clip on bars given my last experience with those. Road bike and drops. Now apart from making sure i am comfortable on the bike for that length of time ( i can be with a couple of changes and comfortable is a relative term) it is power for 24hrs that concerns me.

Today i took the bike i will use out for nearly 300km to find out what position issues i may have, there are not any, but is apparant that the saddle has got to go for the event. i know however what saddle i can use. I need wider tyres too another easy fix.
For the 10.5hrs i was pedalling all i averaged a higher ouput than i thought i would given i ate to get me round rather earing enought to perform.

Fueling is the other issue. So the question is to other lunatics how the heck do train properly for this kind of thing. Also not sure how i am going to fuel myself at night. I am less likely to be able eat properly then.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Why wouldn't you use clip-ons? The more hand positions, the better.

Training is easy, just start doing audaxes (ride a 600k straight through to learn about sleep deprivation). Fueling is personal. I prefer gel-only for 12 hours, but for 24 it's better to have a mix available.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    +1 with Grill.

When I was doing 100's and things I thought a 12 hour would be fun. I guess my thinking was like yours - its too long for a tt bike so I went road bike. Big mistake. My road bike is perfectly comfy for long 120 mle hilly rides - but not great for staying in the same position for 12 hours. I ditched it after 8.

Do you have someone to hand up stuff to you. Ice cream cones of ambrosia rice were a fave back in the day !
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    you do not know what happened the last time I rode a TT bike do you. never again. I am actually slower on a TT bike because I simply do not feel safe in fact I wasn't I found that out the hard way.

I am O.K on the road bike for 11 hrs or more so all I need to do is try it for longer. Ice cram cones with ambrosio is a good idea.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    No clue dude, but I pretty much live on mine. Surely clip-ons will be fine. Just set them wide if you have stability issues.

If you're set against them, then you really should do a 400 and 600k audax straight through so that you know what you're in for. Get your SR badge at the same time.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg