Ebay idiots

benws1
benws1 Posts: 415
edited February 2017 in The bottom bracket
Anyone else had issues with people on Ebay winning auctions and not paying for the item?

Recently sold my old Coppi road bike. Auction ended and as per my description, the winner had 24 hours to contact me for collection. 24 hours ticked by, no response from winner. I message them. Still no response. Somehow, I don't think they are going to collect and pay for my bike. What a pain in the arse. I've given them until 12 noon today. After that, I'll have to raise it with Ebay.

I'm also dealing with someone else who won the auction for the pram and pushchair travel system we bought for my daughter. They seem to keep changing the day of collection and want to pay by Paypal, despite the item being cash on collection. I've refused Paypal and have had to give them a deadline of Saturday to collect (well over a week since the auction ended) as they are really messing me around.

:evil: :evil:

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I hate selling things .. much to the point I now either give stuff away or swap it.

that said, giving stuff away is becoming worse ...... to stereotype people, It would seem that poor people are indeed lazy. Put something up for free and immediately you are contacted by someone that wants the item for free .... but cant collect it because they either don't drive, or cant leave their house or don't want to walk .. and wan to know if you can go out your way to deliver the free item to their house, in the middle of the day .. oh and on the way can you pick up their benefit cheque from the post office and maybe pick uip some biscuits at the same time ... ACTUALLY, I cant make that time, would you mind now changing all your plans and deliver it to my Nans house, but she might be out so if you could wait .... GNNNNN

I just hate people

why we are here anyone want an RX8 .. swapsies for something smaller and bike shapped ?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    fat daddy wrote:
    why we are here anyone want an RX8 .. swapsies for something smaller and bike shapped ?
    I'd love it, thanks. We could swap Bompetta's old balance bike if you like as that's definitely small and bike shaped.
    Can't pick it up just now so if you'd bring it up to Dundee that would be great, and maybe a thorough overhaul first if you don't mind.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    I sold a baling machine. Or so I thought i did. He said quite politely "Will sort the cash out after Christmas. Have a good one". Despite promises, the cash never materialised. I have yet to leave him feedback. I'll wait till he leaves feedback for me though.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • benws1
    Pinno wrote:
    I sold a baling machine. Or so I thought i did. He said quite politely "Will sort the cash out after Christmas. Have a good one". Despite promises, the cash never materialised. I have yet to leave him feedback. I'll wait till he leaves feedback for me though.

Just raise an unpaid item dispute. I've just done the same for the person who won my Coppi auction.

As your issue seems to have been running for a while, I'm not if you can raise one due to timeframes. However, you can raise it at a minimum two days after auction end. Once raised, if no payment is received, you can close it at a minimum four days later and you will be refunded your seller fees. It'll also put a non payment strike against the buyer. If they get more than two in 12 months, this will mean you can block them from bidding on your items (something I'll be doing in the future).

The person who won my Coppi hasn't responded to my communication requests. They haven't yet responded to my unpaid item case either. It's as if they won the auction and don't care. They haven't been in touch and clearly don't seem interested in buying the bike.

Interestingly, once the unpaid item dispute is closed, you can't leave feedback for one another. Also, as a seller, you can only leave positive feedback for a buyer. I looked into leaving some feedback that looks positive, but will be worded something like '*** NON PAYER - AVOID ***'. However, this is apparently in breach of EBay's terms and if you do leave negative comments in positive feedback, you yourself can get a strike from Ebay. Utterly bizarre.

Ebay is definitely geared towards the seller. That is why I don't accept Paypal, do cash on collection items only and won't entertain anything leaving the hosue until the cash is in my hand. Too many scammers around to trust Ebay transactions for anything valuable.
  • benws1 wrote:
    Anyone else had issues with people on Ebay winning auctions and not paying for the item?

Recently sold my old Coppi road bike. Auction ended and as per my description, the winner had 24 hours to contact me for collection. 24 hours ticked by, no response from winner. I message them. Still no response. Somehow, I don't think they are going to collect and pay for my bike. What a pain in the ars*. I've given them until 12 noon today. After that, I'll have to raise it with Ebay.

I'm also dealing with someone else who won the auction for the pram and pushchair travel system we bought for my daughter. They seem to keep changing the day of collection and want to pay by Paypal, despite the item being cash on collection. I've refused Paypal and have had to give them a deadline of Saturday to collect (well over a week since the auction ended) as they are really messing me around.

Not wanting to start an argument but according to ebays T&Cs if you're selling on ebay.co.uk you're required to accept paypal payments, there's a few exceptions such as cars, boats, property etc
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Paypal is okay. I have never had a problem with PP. There is also comeback with PP and insurance.
    I did not pay seller fees but I had to send the buyer a 'Request cancellation note'. Which pi$$ed me off because it wasn't me who didn't stick to the deal so it looks on the face of it that I pulled out of the transaction when in actual fact, it was the buyer who pushed me into a corner.
    I couldn't re-list the item until that was done.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • benws1
    edited February 2017
    benws1 wrote:

Recently sold my old Coppi road bike. Auction ended and as per my description, the winner had 24 hours to contact me for collection. 24 hours ticked by, no response from winner. I message them. Still no response. Somehow, I don't think they are going to collect and pay for my bike. What a pain in the ars*. I've given them until 12 noon today. After that, I'll have to raise it with Ebay.

Not wanting to start an argument but according to ebays T&Cs if you're selling on ebay.co.uk you're required to accept paypal payments, there's a few exceptions such as cars, boats, property etc
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

I can, but all of the items I have sold recently have been cash on collection and nobody has been bothered by this. In the case of the pram, I worded it too strongly. They asked if I preferred cash or Paypal and I said cash, to which they replied ok.

Paypal is deeply flawed though. It's quite easy for someone to pay via this method, collect the item, then file an issue with Ebay who will take the money back off you. Because they are collecting in person, they will refund the buyer. The only way you can fight this is to post the item (which defeats the cash on collection thing). However, again, Ebay will side with the buyer and even if you do get your item returned, it may not be in the condition it was sold in.
  • benws1
    Pinno wrote:
    Paypal is okay. I have never had a problem with PP. There is also comeback with PP and insurance.
    I did not pay seller fees but I had to send the buyer a 'Request cancellation note'. Which pi$$ed me off because it wasn't me who didn't stick to the deal so it looks on the face of it that I pulled out of the transaction when in actual fact, it was the buyer who pushed me into a corner.
    I couldn't re-list the item until that was done.

I saw the cancellation method when looking into my auction yesterday. Unfortunately, this requires communication from both sides; something that is lacking in my case. I still haven't heard anything from the buyer despite contacting them about their win and even raising an unpaid dispute. I need to let the 4 days tick over and will then close the case as a non payer.