Hello everyone from DK/GER! - Cycling enthusiast and researching student -

DannsenCycle
DannsenCycle Posts: 2
edited February 2017 in The cake stop
Hello everyone,

My name is Danny and I am originally from Germany, although I'm studying in Denmark these days (great cycling-friendly country!).

Like for many others around here cycling has ever and will ever play a major role in my life. I often spend hours fixing and caring for my loved companions on two wheels and it gives me a lot of pleasure. This goes up to the point that my academic work in my studies (whenever possible) is kind of "bicycle-centric" topicwise. And this is why I'm introducing myself today: I made this account for a special purpose, which is my final paper to complete my master studies (but after navigating through this wonderful forum I will probably stay here after my research - there are so many interesting things to read I didn't know about!)

I study social science and I made it my task to research about the relationship between humans and objects and the influences on our identity projects. So...I thought: Why not try to find out what role bicycles play in terms of riders identities? This community is very active and I'd like to try to gather information about this topic with you.
So I'm happy about any feedback, recommendations and of course: the experiences you've made in your life as a cyclist.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts.

Ride safe and best regards from Denmark!

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    Hello,

I think it might help if you asked some rather more specific questions.

There are also thousands of pages of people wittering on about bikes and plenty else besides, so everything you are looking for May well already be here.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Aparently all British dentists own a Pinarello.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    ...and those in marketing ride Treks.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I've noticed that most people who own a bike also own a bike pump. Uncanny, it's got to be than a coincidence.

The older I get, the better I was.

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bicycles are children's toys.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    Bicycle. 2 wheels. See also: tricycle and unicycle.

The basic anatomy of a bicycle usually comprises of:
    A frame - this is useful for mounting all the parts that come together to create the bicycle.
    Components of a mechanical or static type.
    Wheels.

For the purposes of this explanation, we will not make any references to velocipedes such as the 'Penny farthing' or any other human powered device that does not have a chain fitted to it.
    I have discovered through extensive research that 99% of bicycles have a chain.The chain is attached to some cog or cogs which the pedals are also attached to. This is called the chainset or crank set [see addendum 1]. From there, the chain is linked in a circular loop to the other cog(s) at the back which are connected to the 'hub' in the centre of the rear wheel [see addendum 2]- not to be confused with the front wheel which has a steering capability but no cogs [See addendum 3]. There are varying numbers of cogs at the back from 1 to 11. Apparently, this allows the rider who may or may not position themselves on a seating facility to overcome the resistance to moving a mass from 0 meters per second and drag [see addendum 4] and wind resistance before gaining momentum [see addendum 5] Cyclists usually refer to this seat as a 'saddle' despite the fact that the bicycle works quite differently to a horse. Ironically, some cyclists don't like equine references like referring to the bicycle as a 'steed' yet refer to the seating facility as a 'saddle'.

The arrangement of the cogs is linked by the chain. Chains are comprised of links and are flexible in a linear direction which allows circumnavigation of the cogs and the mechanical means of 'drive' but are relatively inflexible laterally.

Addendum 1: The crank set allows the user to turn the front cogs. In so doing, the user changes a reciprocal motion into a circular motion. The circular motion is traditionally a clockwise direction and as there is no cross over (barring incorrect assembly) will also 'drive' the cogs which are connected to the wheel in a clockwise direction. This is useful given the correct orientation of the user for safety purposes. The length of the arms that the pedals are connected to, commonly referred to as the 'crank arms' can vary in lengths to suit. However, the length of the crank arm in inner circles can cause much argument and disagreement.
    Addendum 2: Wheels are of a particular size but most stick to a standard diameter. The wheels are of the spoked variety and not solid unless they are of the old 'disc' variety. Wheels require tyres. This is because the metal that wheels are manufactured from have low rolling resistance on surfaces such as, tarmacadam, cobble stones, paving slabs, concrete or soil but have very little friction making cycling without tyres tricky. However, bicycles without tyres are useful for riding on narrow 12inch (approx. 32cms') gauge railways, often found in parks or places of amusement.
    Addendum 3: The steering capability is not mandatory or indeed has much requirement as leaning tends to be a common method of turning corners. However, low speed cornering may cause accidents - see addendum 2.
    Addendum 4: It is preferable to reach the minimum velocity where the gyroscopic effect maintains an upright position and to maintain that position or the user may fall over. Some users spontaneously fall off despite reaching the minimum speed where the gyroscopic effect is in effect. There are too many situations that cause this to enter into any detail here.
    Addendum 5: Some individuals have a greater mass than their own physical strength to move the mass, despite the deployment of a torque multiplication facility. These individuals often use motorised transport to get them to the top of a hill. Once at a mutually agreed point, they use gravity to travel from the top of the hill to the bottom. This type of cyclist is the exception rather than the rule.

I hope that this is helpful and if you require some hints such as 'how to recognise a bicycle', please don't hesitate to let me know.
    Next week: The correct attire for velocipedal activities taking in meteorological and legal considerations.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Somebody has too much time on their hands.

Get a job.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I think it's a case of the Neil Kinnocks, why use one word when twelve will do.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"