Giant P-R2 warranty experience

mostly
mostly Posts: 113
edited February 2017 in Road general
Picked up a tcr in Dec 2015 used the stock pr2 for a month swapped out for my mavics, switched back to the pr2 in November and the hub has 'b0rked'. Its a fair old trip to the lbs so just wondered if anyone had any experience of the wheels, I thought I'd read there had been a bad batch, friend of mine has been running them for 2 years with no issues.
Cheers.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Perhaps you would care to elaborate on what the hub is actually doing wrong? Borked just meaning it's not working!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mostly
    like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN4m52t8pFg

cost of messing around with warranty v a cheap rs11 rear basically
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    edited February 2017
    I picked up a new Defy 1 with P-R2 wheels in Jan 2015 and the LBS had to swap them out to Mavic's because the spokes kept on coming loose on the rear wheel, they were tightened 3 times before they gave up.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Take the end caps and freehub off and investigate, may need lubricating or a bearing replacing. There has been problems with these wheels, rear in particular, build quality control issues leading to loss of tension and spokes breaking, seems to be pot luck whether you end up with a bad set. My 2013 rim brake wheels have been fine up to 2,500mi, though are now my spare wheels as I have another brand of 23mm wide wheels as my primary wheels.
  • mostly
    Thanks for the info, bearing goosed its gone in the shed of spares. The slate / di2 fund is now directed towards some Hunt 4 seasons.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    mostly wrote:
    Thanks for the info, bearing goosed its gone in the shed of spares. The slate / di2 fund is now directed towards some Hunt 4 seasons.

Those are the wheels I purchased, though the shallow 21mm deep rim version, that seem to have been discontinued now.
  • mostly wrote:
    ... so just wondered if anyone had any experience of the wheels, I thought I'd read there had been a bad batch...

On paper, they are halfway decent. In reality, they're a bit crappy. The biggest problem is spoke tension on the rear NDS. It's more than a bad batch, just bad in general.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...