Zwift on iOS and Turbo Trainer

m4ttc
m4ttc Posts: 41
Hi
Bit of a technical question. Bought a Tacx Flow Smart at the weekend and connected it to my iPad to use Zwift. First impression is excellent.
Anyone know what I need and cost to display it on a larger TV to get the full effect?
Thanks

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Shane has the info, but you just need the Apple lightening to HDMI converter and an HDMI cable.

Note that the iPad is 4:3 ratio so this is how it will display on the TV - with black bars down the sides.
  • m4ttc
    Thanks fellas. Rapid responses. I wonder if I need the genuine Apple converter or would a 'replica' version would suffice.
    Thanks for the links. Very helpful
  • m4ttc wrote:
    Thanks fellas. Rapid responses. I wonder if I need the genuine Apple converter or would a 'replica' version would suffice.
    Thanks for the links. Very helpful

I've seen some people posting that they work too, but I'd always be wondering if I was getting the full quality
  • m4ttc
    Thanks again
  • NeXXus
    Replica cables may well be crap and cost you visual quality, spending the extra is IMO the best way forward
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Could you use Chromecast instead of a cable?
  • Mechanism wrote:
    Could you use Chromecast instead of a cable?

I think you'd need Apple TV if you want it to play nice with an iPad.
  • m4ttc
    Think The guy in the video is saying that even Apple TV does some lag and cable is the best way to go.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Digital is Digital and therefore either works or it doesn't. In the same way that using a more expensive USB cable doesn't make your printer print better, using a more expensive adaptor does not make the picture quality better. However you may get reliability or compatibility issues with non approved adaptors but that is a different issue.
  • Chromecast would work perfectly
  • pinchez
    pinchez Posts: 76
    I bought a none genuine but well reviewed cable and while it did work I found the picture from the iPad to the TV very jerky while the iPad picture was silky smooth.
  • Vanmanmatt wrote:
    Chromecast would work perfectly

As far as I know it won't work at all.
  • NeXXus
    Is it not possible select desktop in the browser and cast zwift, a full screen app
  • NeXXus wrote:
    Is it not possible select desktop in the browser and cast zwift, a full screen app

Possibly, I thought the question was about iOS.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    HDMI or buy a £60 Apple TV and use screen mirroring.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus wrote:

My bad :)
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    NeXXus wrote:

You can cast the whole screen (i.e. whatever is running) in Android. I thought it might be the same in iOS.
  • Mechanism wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

You can cast the whole screen (i.e. whatever is running) in Android. I thought it might be the same in iOS.

Unfortunately not. They want you to use Apple TV. Although you can use the PC app Lonely Screen to show airplay from iOS devices.
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    stevie63 wrote:
    Digital is Digital and therefore either works or it doesn't. In the same way that using a more expensive USB cable doesn't make your printer print better, using a more expensive adaptor does not make the picture quality better. However you may get reliability or compatibility issues with non approved adaptors but that is a different issue.
    Yes, digital is digital, but that's not what the Lightning-to-HDMI cable does, there's a lot more to it than that.
    The iPad doesn't output a raw HDMI signal, it outputs H.264 video. To fix this, the cable has a box in it, which includes an ARM processor which decodes the video signal on the fly, suitable for an HDMI TV input. The quality of the decoding done by the processor/software dictates the quality of what you see on the screen, which is where you introduce a lot of visible artefacts. Buy a non-Apple cable and you don't know the quality of the processor/algorithm doing the decoding. Not that the processor software in Apple's own cable hasn't actually come in for some criticism in the past :D

Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!