Carbon seat post stuck...

aidso
aidso Posts: 493
edited February 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Seems to be a common thing, but has anyone a solution that doesnt involve cutting?

It's a carbon post in a carbon frame. Tried, a hot kettle and some Sprite (no coke at the time) and a couple of knocks with palm of hand to the seat. Doesnt seem to be shifting. I'd like to keep the post intact so cutting is not really an option.

Any ideas?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is it a full carbon frame or does it have an alloy inert?

My sons carbon frame has an alloy insert and it was that causing the issue, we built a funnel round the seatpost using kitchen roll and tank tape and then used household ammonia cleaner drizzled into it to dissolve the aluminium oxide - a seatpost we'd been struggling with for about 3 days came out in 2 hours. Got the use of ammonia suggestion from Sheldon Brown's pages (RIP).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    Its one of these: 2015 Spec Stumpjumper Carbon.
    Says "Alloy seat binder", is that the bit that the seat goes into ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, the 'binder' is a 'Merkinism' for the seatpost clamp.

The spec probably wouldn't tell you if it had an alloy insert or not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    No, that's just the seatpost clamp. Binder is what they call them in the US.

I suspect it's an all carbon seat tube. Heating won't do anything. Sprite will just have made it sticky. You could try drizzling some 3-in-one oil or plusgas in there to lubricate it a bit, but ultimately you need to be able to twist it.

If you have an old saddle you could mount that and then use a long bar or length of wood between the rails to exert some leverage. Alternatively clamp the saddle in a bench vice and twist the frame.

If that doesn't work you may have to sacrifice the post to save the frame