Dolomites

teebs_123
teebs_123 Posts: 357
edited February 2017 in Tour & expedition
Hi

After a successful trip to Valloire last year, we're looking to head to the Dolomites in June this year, requirements are;

Great cycling
Good size town as my wife is coming with a 9 month old baby & dog

We've looked at Bolzano, but I'm not as clued up with this area as I am with The Alps.

Has anyone been and could recommend an area to look at in the 1st/2nd week of June. I'm driving down and will pick up wife/baby from an airport close by.

Thanks
Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
Kinesis 4s Di2

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Corvara, right in the middle of the Maratona course or a much smaller town just up the road, San Casiano.
    there are walks, loads of bars and shops, ski lifts and you can get a tourist bus pass to travel about in, if she doesnt want to drive and hire mtb with a baby thingy on the back, many mtb trcks are wide gravel lanes.

the cycling around there is fantastic, there is the Maratona route and loads of other passes to try out, easy to plan circular rides, make sure you do the Passo Erbe

http://www.altabadia.org/en/tourist-off ... villa.html
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Plus one for Corvara. Lovely little town.

We've had two fantastic holidays there at the hotel Panorama. There is bike hire available in the town.

The Sella Ronda must rank as one of the great rides of the world. Absolutely stunning circuit. Loads more if you venture further a field, the Giau, Valparola etc.

I did find the roads fairly busy. Lots of coaches and big groups of German and Austrian motorbikes. It pays to get out early.

Also, even if it's pretty warm it's worth taking a gilet and arm warmers as most of those passes are 2000m plus and it can be chilly on the decents.
  • Thanks for all the comments, we've booked an Apartment in Corvara. Looks to be a great little area, so I'm really looking forward to it

Thanks for the advice regarding the altitude and weather, I took extra clothing for the Alps last year and was OK on the decent.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Thanks for all the comments, we've booked an Apartment in Corvara. Looks to be a great little area, so I'm really looking forward to it

Thanks for the advice regarding the altitude and weather, I took extra clothing for the Alps last year and was OK on the decent.

Fantastic. You'll love it.

If you need the bike hire place you can't miss it. It's on the main street and they have all the bikes outside. I got a Pinarello one day and a Scott another without having booked in advance.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Thanks for all the comments, we've booked an Apartment in Corvara. Looks to be a great little area, so I'm really looking forward to it

Fantastic. You'll love it.

If you need the bike hire place you can't miss it. It's on the main street and they have all the bikes outside. I got a Pinarello one day and a Scott another without having booked in advance.

Thanks, I'm driving down with the dog, bike and baby stuff and meeting my wife at Munich airport.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Nice one.
    if you want lunch with the family and fancy a short walk, top of Gardena, park up then its a short walk to Jimmys hut, a posh ski refuge, great food and views.

Another place to go is the centre of San Cassiano, Bar Hugs and the cheaper but perhaps better atmosphere bar, right next to it.

Did i say ride the Passo Erbe.....
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    The Passo Duran is another relatively hidden gem. I've ridden quite a lot in that area, and been over all of the Maratona climbs, the Erbe, Fedaia, Plan de Corones etc., but the Duran is probably the prettiest. Lovely climb, and barely a soul on it.

Something to note, the Maratona itself is on the last week of June, and they usually have a load of events on during the week. Not sure when you're there (guessing perhaps not that week as you've found a hotel), but might be worth exploring.
  • We're there 2nd week of June, so I'll have a look around for anything Maratona related.

Apartment booked, just need to sort travel logistics.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2