Scott Foil 20 2012 Upgrade

Uncleiven
Uncleiven Posts: 150
edited March 2017 in Your road bikes
Following on from my recent post about whether I should buy a new bike or invest in upgrading my beloved Scott Foil, this thread is just to show the upgrade (being done by a LBS) and the other parts I am adding.

In summary, my upgrade is mainly consisting of SRAM Red e-Tap electronic groupset with added SRAM RED groupset components.

I am also adding a new saddle (black) and Speedplay Aero pedals,
I have also treated myself to some new shoes and a Garmin Edge 1000 :)

The LBS sent me a few pics of the RED stuff which arrived today, hopefully it should all be done by next week.

Pics to follow

Comments

• izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Have the same set up with Etap on my Foil. Absolutely love it.

Why is the LBS taking til next week? Set up takes 30-40 mins.

With etap the only foibles to sort with a Foil, i) you may have to file the front derailleur bolt hole to get it to the best position for big chainring and ii) use some locative threadlock on the adjustment grub screws. They can slip out over time and catch on the inner side of the crank arm. Once done it is maintenance free and fine tuning can be done via shifters so easily when changing rear wheels or chain/cassette.
  • izza wrote:
    Have the same set up with Etap on my Foil. Absolutely love it.

Why is the LBS taking til next week? Set up takes 30-40 mins.

With etap the only foibles to sort with a Foil, i) you may have to file the front derailleur bolt hole to get it to the best position for big chainring and ii) use some locative threadlock on the adjustment grub screws. They can slip out over time and catch on the inner side of the crank arm. Once done it is maintenance free and fine tuning can be done via shifters so easily when changing rear wheels or chain/cassette.

Not got all the parts in yet, and they are a busy LBS. I am in no particular rush anyway as going away soon.
    They are also doing a fresh bike fit for me as part of the install. Got new shoes and cleats that need setting up :)
  • Mine is getting done on Friday with the final parts arguing this week.

I went to see all the new Red e-Tap stuff and the box alone is worth the money haha
  • New shoes.... Sidi Shot Carbon's :)

Just waiting on some colour coded cleat buddies. I do like the look of the Speedplay Zero Aero cleats though!

32885259915_82f20072cb_k.jpgUntitled by Adam Welch, on Flickr

32042797794_805b668708_k.jpgUntitled by Adam Welch, on Flickr
  • Nice...I'm not entirely sure however, that posting a link to your Flickr account with what I assume is your real name...with a picture of your house......and car......with expensively shod bike on the back is the best idea in an online forum environment where it is known some wrong'uns lurk. Just a thought! Better safe than sorry...
  • Nice...I'm not entirely sure however, that posting a link to your Flickr account with what I assume is your real name...with a picture of your house......and car......with expensively shod bike on the back is the best idea in an online forum environment where it is known some wrong'uns lurk. Just a thought! Better safe than sorry...

I get your point :)... but a) my reg isn't showing and b) that's not my house lol

I will see about posting the pics a different way :)
  • On the plus side, I've just been informed my build has been done :)

Certainly looks good from the picture, the black saddle alone transforms the look!

etap_zpsnfnmccew.jpg
  • Alloy clinchers with carbon fairings?

That would be the first thing to replace
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Replacing the wheels wasn't on my current to do list as they are still a great wheel set. Only downside is the bearings on the rear hub have gone so I need to get those replaced.

I'll probably look to get some new wheels later in the year.

The eTap feels great and that's just with the bike in the stand. I can't wait to get it on the road :)
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Looks great!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Thank you :)
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Super chuffed for you after what we discussed in your original thread. Ride like the wind and enjoy your machine.

I am sure it will help emote some wonderful memories for you in the future.

Pete.
  • Thank you Pete :)
  • Bike is back home after a bike fit today at the same LBS where the work was done.
    Had a quick ride around the shop and the e-Tap feels amazing, so smooth and fast... I definitely think I've made the right decision. It feels like a new bike :)

She's also lost 350grams in the process haha :)

IMG_0929_zpsgr0q7yfw.jpg

IMG_0684_zps87jxx7ne.jpg

IMG_0930_zps8plksnwf.jpg
  • What is that blue thing on top of your stem?

Garmin or phone mount.

iPhone Quad lock mount, but I have had to remove it as my iP7 plus and Garmin 1000 touch.
    I might need to get a Garmin mount which has a further reach.

I've done 40 miles this weekend in appalling weather but I am so pleased with the bike. It actually feels like a new bike in truth. The e-TAP is flawless, seamless speedy shifting and the crank feels so stiff.

Really pleased I went with the upgrade and roll on 2017 for cycling :)
  • INPTT
    INPTT Posts: 16
    I like the carbon wheels