Gear adjustment

mrbubbaman
mrbubbaman Posts: 171
edited February 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a 2016 Boardman Fs Pro, which is only 6 months old. Recently I've been unable to use the lowest gear (Big cog) or the next one up, the chain just keeps jumping between the 2.

I'm guessing they just need some adjustments, as I've not messed about with it since I bought it and just ridden it.
What bit do I need to adjust? When I did this on my previous bike, it was the front derailleur that needed adjustment, but this bike has a single cog at the front.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably just a tiny tweak of the barrel adjuster. Try no more than a quater turn at a time. Anti clockwise to tension the cable.

Read Parktools below.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The barrel adjuster will probably get it fixed. You can do that even while riding. It's not really broken or anything, just part of regular maintenance process.
    As suggested, go watch a bunch of videos about the topic. It's very well covered by pretty much every major bike channel on youtube. Gear adjustment is something well worth knowing how to do yourself.

Oh and by the way, shouldn't you be bringing your bike for a warranty check? Maybe it's different for you, but where I live literally every shop will demand that you bring the bike in after a certain mileage or period of time for a free but mandatory warranty check - making sure nothing is faulty and everything works, and also to adjust your derailleurs and brakes which are almost guaranteed to get a bit off on a new bike due new components and parts wearing in.
  • The barrel adjuster will probably get it fixed. You can do that even while riding. It's not really broken or anything, just part of regular maintenance process.
    As suggested, go watch a bunch of videos about the topic. It's very well covered by pretty much every major bike channel on youtube. Gear adjustment is something well worth knowing how to do yourself.

Oh and by the way, shouldn't you be bringing your bike for a warranty check? Maybe it's different for you, but where I live literally every shop will demand that you bring the bike in after a certain mileage or period of time for a free but mandatory warranty check - making sure nothing is faulty and everything works, and also to adjust your derailleurs and brakes which are almost guaranteed to get a bit off on a new bike due new components and parts wearing in.

Yes that's after 6 weeks, which was done where I bought it from.

I shall check out the parktool videos

Thanks