Chain sizing - 2 or 4 links?

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited February 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Sizing my chain but a bit confused :roll:

Is it big big and add 2 links or 4 links?

And is one link a single section or an inner & outer?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the bike. A HT might be one link, a FS with significant chain growth, two.

A link is 'two' bits, otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect them, unless you are adding in a master link.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Why do people measure it this way instead of routing it through the derailleur and seeing what the poor mech thinks about the chain length?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    It's easier
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Why do people measure it this way instead of routing it through the derailleur and seeing what the poor mech thinks about the chain length?

Good point, worth doing to check before cutting chain.
  • fat daddy wrote:
    It's easier

It seems simpler but IMHO it leaves too much room for mistakes. Especially since there's a lot of confusion around what exactly is "one link". And this method does not get it right on my current setup. Also, Shimano recommends a different method - rear small, front big, derailleur must go straight down (centre of pulleys). ¨

Using a really thick paperclip to hold the chain together while I mess around. Really helps make the job easier. I check big big and make sure that the mech isn't stretched too far out, break the chain, check that small-small doesn't have too much slack and make the connection. Then take the chain off and turn it around because I forgot it's a directional chain. Dammit!

And if I had a fullsus, I'd also be checking the length against compressed suspension.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    About time you stopped making your limitations public.

The method works perfectly well, which is probably why Shimano have a lot more experience than you specify that method in the documentation with their chains, it's also the method recommended by Park Tool. There is no more room for mistakes this way and removes the problem of trying to hold the mech at full extension while trying to judge the length.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Just compare the length of the new chain to the old one and remove the appropriate number of links.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie wrote:
    About time you stopped making your limitations public.

Your irritation is my pleasure.