Tubular tires

luvs2bike
luvs2bike Posts: 2
edited February 2017 in Cyclocross
I am new to cyclocross. I found a high end cyclocross bike at a great price and am considering a purchase. But, I am concerned about the wheels which are tubular carbon wheels. I would like to know if it is possible to add tire sealant such as Stan's to tubular tires. The tires are Challenge Griffo. I will be using the bike on cyclocross courses and also riding through town and would like to avoid having to change the tublar tires during my ride because of a flat. I am also considering purchasing a pair of tubeless clincher wheels as a second wheelset. Thank you.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yes - unscrew valves, pour in, screw up valves.

Job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I wouldn't.
    While the sealant might fix a puncture, it will render the tubular unrepairable should you need to repair it.

Moreover, if you keep them for more than one season, the selant will probably dry and form clumps... it might even jam the valve if you are not careful how you "rest" the tyre.

I would only use it with tyres that are not repairable in any other way, like Tufo
    left the forum March 2023
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Challenge tubs are more robust than some other CX tubs, but I still wouldn't use them for anything other than racing, and possibly training. You'll be much better off with a second wheelset, even if it has to be a cheap one.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    You'll scrub all the tread off Griffo tubs in a few miles riding them on tarmac. Definitely get a second wheelset for general use.
  • For what you are proposing, get a set of tubeless alloy clinchers. Your options are much wider then. Tubular tires are (depending on your viewpoint) only for racing / a complete nightmare / prehistoric.