How the hell do I import a GPX route file into Garmin Connect??

bungle73
bungle73 Posts: 758
It boggles the mind that Garmin charge so much for their product, yet they cannot be arse to include this most basic of functions into their software. :roll:

I've been trying to get it work for hours and I can't work out how to do it! I know it's got something to do with using http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do to convert it to something else (I've done it before) but I can't remember what. GC doesn't want to accept anything I give it!

Comments

• maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/import-data assuming you have a GC account and a computer to get to that website (log in first) ?

Or do you mean import a GPX route into your actual Garmin?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Are you asking in the right forum?
  • bungle73
    edited February 2017
    maryka wrote:
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/import-data assuming you have a GC account and a computer to get to that website (log in first) ?

Or do you mean import a GPX route into your actual Garmin?
    That doesn't work. It won't accept GPX route files.

I'm trying to upload a route I found elsewhere.
  • bungle73
    Imposter wrote:

It's a Garmin question. How is this not the right forum?
  • Yes, quite unbelievably you can't actually import a route into their "Courses" section.

I don't know where you're getting your route from, but if it has timestamps associated with the location data, you can upload it is as an activity, find that activity in your list (need to know the date of those timestamps obviously) and then there's a facility to copy the GPS trace of that activity to a new "Course". The only other alternative is to replot it by hand in their course creator.

As you use Garmin Connect and Garmin products for a while you'll find plenty of these mind-boggling oversights all over the place...
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    I think I'm confused with what you want to do. Import a route for what? So you can follow it? One that you rode but didn't record, so you have it as a ride now?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

It's a Garmin question. How is this not the right forum?

I must have missed the trainingfitness/health content in your post. Anyway, allow me to suggest 'road general'...
  • bungle73
    Yes, quite unbelievably you can't actually import a route into their "Courses" section.

I don't know where you're getting your route from, but if it has timestamps associated with the location data, you can upload it is as an activity, find that activity in your list (need to know the date of those timestamps obviously) and then there's a facility to copy the GPS trace of that activity to a new "Course". The only other alternative is to replot it by hand in their course creator.

As you use Garmin Connect and Garmin products for a while you'll find plenty of these mind-boggling oversights all over the place...

From cycle-route.com, and it's a bare gpx route file. It needs to be coveted so that GC will accept it, but I can't get it to work.
    maryka wrote:
    I think I'm confused with what you want to do. Import a route for what? So you can follow it? One that you rode but didn't record, so you have it as a ride now?

I'm not sure what there is to find "confusing" about it? I have a gpx file I got off the internet that I want to upload to Garmin Connect so that I can tailor it to my needs and save it for when I am ready to use it.
  • bungle73
    I guess you're all as clueless about this as I am. I guess I'll just have to enter it manually.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    go to Plotaroute.com, upload your GPX file and then export it as TCX file then import to your Garmin.
  • I have found the best way to do this is to alter the route to suit your individual needs in the base program (e.g. Strava, GPX Editor) save to computer and then put the file into new file folder on Garmin when plugged in as mass storage in USB.

Once you have ridden the route once you can save activity as course if you want to.

This has worked for me to get ideas for other good routes but do agree it could be a more seamless experience if Garmin connect would just let you upload direct.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I have done this. It wasnt easy and I cant remember how to do it off hand. It's a great facility - why its not easier to do is beyond me.

It might have been this that helped me. You do need a cable. I remember that bit.

http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/transfer-g ... to-garmin/
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Bungle73 wrote:
    It boggles the mind that Garmin charge so much for their product, yet they cannot be ars* to include this most basic of functions into their software. :roll:

I've been trying to get it work for hours and I can't work out how to do it! I know it's got something to do with using http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do to convert it to something else (I've done it before) but I can't remember what. GC doesn't want to accept anything I give it!

Open the gpx at e.g. bikehike
    Save it as a track gpx
    Import it into Garmin Connect as an activity
    Save the activity as a course
    Delete the activity
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Alex99 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    It boggles the mind that Garmin charge so much for their product, yet they cannot be ars* to include this most basic of functions into their software. :roll:

Save it as a track gpx
    Delete the activity

ok so i save as a track gpx, the only opt to import in GC is "import data" and it always says the gpx file is "file already uploaded"

there is no file/course or activity anywhere in GC, either under courses or activities.

the only way i can see you could do this is using Garmin Basecamp but that doesnt always upload GPX files, i ve a load from the Bryton site, some upload, some dont and i ve lost the will to live......

all Bryton gpx files will load straight onto device and work as a course.

tbh honest it quicker to just create a new course.
  • Don't use GC for route planning, it's crap.

Use ridewithgps (free) you can upload that GPX file you have then you can edit it to your needs. Then download as a GPX or TCX and drag it onto your Garmin.

GC is too restrictive and doesn't allow you to upload file to edit.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    mamba80 wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

Save it as a track gpx
    Delete the activity

ok so i save as a track gpx, the only opt to import in GC is "import data" and it always says the gpx file is "file already uploaded"

there is no file/course or activity anywhere in GC, either under courses or activities.

the only way i can see you could do this is using Garmin Basecamp but that doesnt always upload GPX files, i ve a load from the Bryton site, some upload, some dont and i ve lost the will to live......

all Bryton gpx files will load straight onto device and work as a course.

tbh honest it quicker to just create a new course.

Not sure then. This method works for me and is pretty simple.

"all Bryton gpx files will load straight onto device and work as a course". This is true for most if not all gpx files. Drop them into the 'new files' folder and they appear in the course list. I though you wanted to have then in GC.
  • mamba80 wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

Save it as a track gpx
    Delete the activity

Are you sure you're looking in the right date range; it won't pop-up at the top of your "Activities" list as though you've just done that activity. As I mentioned above, it'll be filed under the date that the timestamps included in your GPX file state; open the GPX file in Notepad, see what times/dates it has attributed to that activity and then look in your Garmin Connect Activities list at that date.

If you've just done a file conversion from GPX file with location stamps only, it might have just filled in timestamps from 01-Jan-1901 or something stupid, depends on the conversion tool.
  • http://bikeroutetoaster.com/

https://ridewithgps.com/

1. Upload the GPX on one of the above;
    2. Convert it to TCX;
    3. Download;
    4. Connect your Garmin with USB to the PC;
    5. Locate "New Files" folder in the Garmin;
    6. Upload your TCX file in the above;
    7. Enjoy.
  • That is crazy.
  • That is crazy.

Do you know how to change the default FTP in Garmin Connect?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • That is crazy.

It's certainly an annoying omission by Garmin Connect but it's really not that difficult to work-around and get a GPX course file into Garmin Connect and/or onto your device.

I don't know how everyone is making such a meal out of it, it only takes a small amount of computer competency.
  • mamba80
    That is crazy.

It's certainly an annoying omission by Garmin Connect but it's really not that difficult to work-around and get a GPX course file into Garmin Connect and/or onto your device.

I don't know how everyone is making such a meal out of it, it only takes a small amount of computer competency.

Its not something i ve ever had to do or particularly want to but as i m bored and working from home, i thought "it cant be that hard"...can it???

but however i do it, the *.gpx file is not in activities or courses, i checked timestamp and it aint anywhere in GC - the only way anything appears in connect is if you manually make one or sync with a device that has a course on it that i ve ridden, if i had more time, i d copy a gpx file onto device, load it as a course (but not ride obv) and then sync with Connect and i suspect that would appear in courses.

in anycase, its just as easy to upload in another gps editor amend and then copy onto the Garmin device, which is extremely easy.
  • i ve open ticket with Garmin re another issue but i asked them is it possible to import a 3rd party gpx file into Connect and then modify, they said NO, only Garmin created ones, they said use Basecamp or unofficially ridewithgps or similar.
  • That is crazy.

Do you know how to change the default FTP in Garmin Connect?

The what now?
  • mamba80 wrote:

in anycase, its just as easy to upload in another gps editor amend and then copy onto the Garmin device, which is extremely easy.

I only ever plug my Garmin in to put courses on that have come from elsewhere. Everything else happens over Bluetooth. It's an odd omission.
  • The method I use is:
    1) Plan in Strava
    2) Add timestamps using http://gotoes.org/strava/Add_Timestamps_To_GPX.php
    3) Import into Garmin Connect as an activity
    4) Convert activity to a route
    5) Delete activity

A right pain, but I like having all routes on Garmin connect so I can sync them over bluetooth from the mobile on the road. Why Garmin connect doesn't have an import route or even things like duplicate route is beyond me.
  • mamba80
    The method I use is:
    1) Plan in Strava
    5) Delete activity

A right pain, but I like having all routes on Garmin connect so I can sync them over bluetooth from the mobile on the road. Why Garmin connect doesn't have an import route or even things like duplicate route is beyond me.

yep, used your excellent utility on a previously downloaded bryton gpx route, timestamped it, imported into connect, there it was as a route to modify etc.
    if i ever need this......

Cheers
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    Does anyone know how to change when the turn-by-turn directions come up in the Edge 520 (if its possible even)?
    I used mine for navigation for the first time yesterday and I had to keep the map up and look at the route the whole time because it only gave me turn directions AS I was turning or even sometimes after I had turned.
    On one occasion I missed a turn when I was going down a 25% hill and had to go back up it... :x
  • bungle73
    FatTed wrote:
    go to Plotaroute.com, upload your GPX file and then export it as TCX file then import to your Garmin.
    Chinn39 wrote:
    I have found the best way to do this is to alter the route to suit your individual needs in the base program (e.g. Strava, GPX Editor) save to computer and then put the file into new file folder on Garmin when plugged in as mass storage in USB.

Once you have ridden the route once you can save activity as course if you want to.

This has worked for me to get ideas for other good routes but do agree it could be a more seamless experience if Garmin connect would just let you upload direct.

Thanks, but I really wanted to import into GC first. But I guess that is an alternative solution if I can't do it the way that I want.
    Fenix wrote:
    I have done this. It wasnt easy and I cant remember how to do it off hand. It's a great facility - why its not easier to do is beyond me.

It might have been this that helped me. You do need a cable. I remember that bit.

http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/transfer-g ... to-garmin/

Thanks, but as I say, I wanted to import it into GC first.
    Alex99 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

Save it as a track gpx
    Delete the activity

That's what I've been trying to do (using the covertor site that I posted earlier), but it's not working. It keeps telling me that there's an error.
    Don't use GC for route planning, it's crap.

Use ridewithgps (free) you can upload that GPX file you have then you can edit it to your needs. Then download as a GPX or TCX and drag it onto your Garmin.

GC is too restrictive and doesn't allow you to upload file to edit.

It does what I need to do, and it means I keep all my courses and the associated stats in, one place. What's so great about ridewithgps that makes it significantly better then using GC? I've never come across another system that was so much better than it made it want to switch.
    The method I use is:
    1) Plan in Strava
    5) Delete activity

It just tells me that it's already been uploaded. And I don't know if that is because I've tried doing it previously (but it's not on there), or because it just isn't working.

I think I'll just enter it in manually. It shouldn't take too long. I can't understand why I can't get it to work this time, as I've done it before!

Thanks anyway.
  • sh-g
    sh-g Posts: 30
    Bungle73 wrote:

Put the GPX file on your desktop (or where ever you want on your PC: Connect your Garmin to the PC. Click on "Garmin" in Finder or Explorer (whatever you use) and look for the NEW folder. Drag the gpx file to that folder. Close the folder and eject the Garmin. Turn it off and thats it. Next time you turn it on it will be there.