Destroying lock

kingstongraham
kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
edited March 2017 in The workshop
I need to break my lock - think it's a Squire DCL1 with J3 chain (8mm alloy). The key snapped off in the lock, and I can't open it now. It's through the straps of my helmet, so I want to know the most cost effective way of breaking it. Any ideas?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216
    I'd suggest PMing the responses guys, just in case, y'know, any budding criminals are googling :P
  • Good thinking.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You have a PM.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I used to work for a company that would have no issues cutting through that 8mm chain - but isn't it easier to dethread the helmet straps?
  • Slowbike wrote:
    I used to work for a company that would have no issues cutting through that 8mm chain - but isn't it easier to dethread the helmet straps?

One side is fine, can be undone, but pretty sure the other side has both ends attached to the helmet. Obviously don't want to cut through the straps.

Will double check, as this would be easiest. Thanks.
  • Got it off, and probably won't be buying another the same.
  • slowbike
    Come on - tell us how ... :)
  • slowbike
    ah - simple then :)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    ah - simple then :)

Yes, but not something that you could do unobtrusively on the street.
  • Well you apparently managed to do it without anyone intervening or apprehending you for "going equipped"... just sayin'
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Well you apparently managed to do it without anyone intervening or apprehending you for "going equipped"... just sayin'
    Reminds me of those videos someone did a few years ago breaking locks (including with an angle grinder) in public to see if anyone would question them.
  • condorman
    condorman Posts: 811
    Well you apparently managed to do it without anyone intervening or apprehending you for "going equipped"... just sayin'
    Reminds me of those videos someone did a few years ago breaking locks (including with an angle grinder) in public to see if anyone would question them.

Just put on a hi-viz vest or jacket and nobody bats an eyelid.
    Condor Pista
    50x16