Vastus Medialis Cramps

neilhannam
neilhannam Posts: 58
So in the last six months I've started to develop a nasty habit of cramping just in the vastus medialis muscle (the teardrop shaped one just above the knee) at about thirty miles in. I've ridden bikes, mountain and road, for years but in the last year have increased the mileage and how how serious i am about riding. However I've never cramped in that muscle before about six months ago when both cramped up on the same sportive ride at about 50 miles in.

Now since that first instance I cramp in the same spot every ride that gets close to thirty odd miles in but I'd regulalrly do 30 miles plus previously with no issues. I tinkered with the set up but have since bought a new bike (just because, not to try and cure this) but nothing has changed. Saddle up, saddle down, forward, back, moved cleats, changed from SPDs to SPD SLs, changed shoes, tried to change my cadence, dropped my average speed and yet same thing every ride.

I'm hydrating well pre and during rides and using electrolyte tabs in my bottles and stretch before but none of this has changed anything. I'd have thought I'd have least made some difference either positive or negative but despite trying to change one thing a time incrementally im still suffering.

Aside from a professional bike fit which is next on my list does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or been through the same thing? I've watched a ton of youtube vids on bike set ups and done my best to adjust accordingly but im really struggling and have a 50 mile sportive in a couple months time. Thanks

Comments

• Just me suffering with this irritation then.
  • I cramp there if I run, sometimes even if I just go down a few flights of stairs.... but not when I cycle

In my case I don't think it's dehydration and I have no idea what it is
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Any other pains, strains, past injuries that may be causing the body to transfer stress down to the weakest point - which could be this muscle in this case? Nothing as simple as cleats out of line?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Are you sure it's cramp and not muscle strain?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    Are you sure it's cramp and not muscle strain?
    Seems odd doesn't it. I guess if OP is throwing themselves off the bike regardless of their surroundings and writhing around on the floor for 5 minutes then it's probably cramp lol.

If only recent then something has changed somewhere. VMO is mainly first third of the pedal stroke so perhaps OP has adopted a slower cadence\bigger gearing compared to old. One option would be to stand more often to prevent prolonged contraction that you'd get from being seated, and a lacrosse ball to smash in to the muscle\myofascial.
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    use a foam roller and work up the leg after sport, take your time and rotate slightly to hit the IT band too.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I suffer sometimes too with cramp there while on the bike, but not for a while touch wood.
    However it used to hit hard after i had been on the bike some several hours later.

No idea what causes it or how to stop it either sorry. Sometimes i stretch, but not often.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • Sorry for the lack of response. Had posted twice to follow this up but neither appears to show up.

I've fiddled around enough and not got it right so am going to book a bike fit and see if that works. If not, off to the physio is the next step.

Thanks for your input.
  • Lastpost
    Lastpost Posts: 14
    neilhannam wrote:
    Sorry for the lack of response. Had posted twice to follow this up but neither appears to show up.

I've fiddled around enough and not got it right so am going to book a bike fit and see if that works. If not, off to the physio is the next step.

Thanks for your input.

How did you get on with the bike fit? I'm struggling with the same problem, so I'd be keen to know if you are fixed!