Should i fix/upgrade or buy new?

sarequads
sarequads Posts: 18
edited February 2017 in The workshop
Should I upgrade/fix current bike or buy new?

I am new to cycling, I was bike daft when I was a kid back in the 90s early 00s when id go about mostly on a bmx but i have had to get a sensible bike due to the distance I need to cover on a daily basis.

I use my bike for commuting about 100 mikes per week (10 x 10 mile journeys, to work and back 5 times per week). I have an Innate Alpha Cyclocross by 13 Bikes. http://halfords.cdn.amplience.com/image ... ocross.jpg I bought it second hand in good condition for £275 in October and have done over 1000 miles. The bike is great for my needs, it weighs 12.2 kg according to the official specs and this although heavy is fine. I use carbon fibre soled road shoes and wear a Boardman cycling bib.

Currently the brakes need tightened, brakes make a sound on the disc, front wheel bearing feels a bit loose and probably needs replacing, some mudguard parts have rusted and fallen off, gears work but are not as sharp as when I first got it, they jump up 2 rather than 1 and take ages to do so and im scared to sprint on it as there have been a couple of instances where its changed gear mid sprint. The bottom bracket may be starting to go also, not cornflake sounding yet but a wee bit of movement. Where the frame meets the fork there is a bit of give, possibly only 0.5mm but still. I feel that the wheels don’t roll that well, when you spin them they stop pretty quickly. It has a 175mm crank length but after doing calculations found on GCN YouTube channel I may need 165mm, ive been told they dont come this short though. Finally, I never use my 2-3 smallest gears on the back and I feel that I could do with more mid ranged ones.

I clean my bike at least once per week following instructions found on GCN. I will have the chance again soon to do the cycle to work scheme so may do that or just fix up this one. What is more cost effective/worth it.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like it just needs a bit of routine mainteneance. Bit of adjustment, lubing etc.

Bit silly to replace a bike everytime it needs adjusting...

Read Parktools and fiddle, it's easy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bikes don't last 15,000 miles between services like a car!

Most of that is simple and elementary maintenance and needn't cost very much at all.

Adjust front brake (or new pads?), adjust headset, adjust front wheel cup and cones (or strip, clean and rebuild with fresh grease), adjust rear dérailleur (or maybe it needs cables cleaning or replacing).

Riding a bike with an issue is a sure fire way to make the repair more expensive than addressing it straight away!

With just TLC my commuter managed about 2,500 miles at one point with no parts changed at all.

I wouldn't worry about crank length, its really not that critical unless you are spending 10 hours plus in a saddle day in and day out, it says the same for me and I regularly do 150km plus on hire bikes with no choice on crank length.

As for the wheels spinning, find out if its the brakes or hubs and service appropriately!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • What is the word between "upgrade" & "buy"? - I don't think I've seen that syntactic construction on here before :mrgreen: