Hydraulic brake questions

bobbydigital
bobbydigital Posts: 254
edited February 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I've bought a set of Quad qhd-1 brakes from ebay, sadly the seller has kinked the hose by wrapping it too tightly.

From the images do you think this hose will be okay once fluid is put through it under pressure or is it best to put a new hose on? It's kinked but hasn't made a hole in the hose.

iSmStk7.jpg
Kf5ITZS.jpg

If it does need replacing, has anyone got any idea what olive and insert is needed? Of course I will remove it at some point and see, but thought maybe someone might have had experience with this brand.

kyw7iDl.jpg
c1oofKh.jpg
Sskdxta.jpg

Ty.

Comments

• Well, technical stuff aside, if the cable arrived in such a condition to me, I'd open a dispute asking for refund.

As for your question, it really depends on what's the damage inside the cable. I personally don't think it would cause any serious issues, but I wouldn't want to use it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hose, not cable!

I can't see your photos but would usually suggest a gentle pinch with pliers across the kink to flatten it back to a round, if it doesn't leak its probably fine, your call if you want to replace or at least negotiate a partial refund to cover you against future issues.

Poor packaging I guess, I've sent dozens of brakes by coiling them up and never had an issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Without fitting it you won't really know what damage has been done. I'd try and improve things as Rookie suggests but there could be internal damage you can't see. I've had a brake hose on a car collapse internally so it acted like a one way valve, once the brakes were applied they stayed on. But, as he also says I would certainly be negotiating for a partial refund at least. Only you know what you paid for them and if it's still a good buy if you need to replace a hose.
    Looks like it is sealed with an o ring rather than an olive, can't tell how the hose is fitted to the pipe nut.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Personally, I'd bin that hose and fit a new one.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Hose, not cable!

As long as everyone says cable instead of wire-rope, I will call brake tubing however I please.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You are a speshul flower.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I could not find any replacement inserts or olives as it's from QUAD who aren't in business, got some Avied Elixir R instead now, I will stick to the usual brands from now on, the quads were only £10 but the seller did a refund.

thanks for the information.