Garmin & Strava

davidradar
davidradar Posts: 69
edited February 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Why don't these two companies just merge and make our lives easier.. Too much tech!
Stay positive people :)

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I don't see the problem with using a garmin and uploading to strava.
  • I think it would just be great if they were one company as they are already so tightly intergrated.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    how are they more integrated than any other GPS based device.

Edit: oh and I am glad they are not the same company .... I love having ditched my piece 'o poo garmin unreliable heap of turd with a flakey company that takes for ever to admit to needing patching then even longer to release a patch ..... and got a wahoo which seems to do everything the garmin did, but without the ball ache sh1te customer service of the garmin.

If Garmin merged with strava they would probably want to ditch support for other GPS devices ... that would be a bad thing in my book
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    No reason at all for Strava to want to go down one make only - they need to remain GPSr neutral so that they can continue to be the "facebook" of activity recording, the place where everyone goes. Aligning themselves just with Garmin would be suicidal for them.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use a Garmin watch for running and my phone when riding. Both are simple and have been faultless. It's not rocket science.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    I use Garmin watch for both running and cycling. But Strava is my go-to for the activity logging / reviewing in general. (Though FetchEveryone knocks the socks off both Garmin Connect and Strava when it comes to graphs and statistics relating to your running in particular).
  • Ok maybe it was a bit of a big call but I think it is silly having to Sync so you can have a more user friendly display. I guess they will go down the path most others have, being owned by Google or Apple but they may still be off their radar as they are just small players.
  • larkim wrote:
    I use Garmin watch for both running and cycling. But Strava is my go-to for the activity logging / reviewing in general. (Though FetchEveryone knocks the socks off both Garmin Connect and Strava when it comes to graphs and statistics relating to your running in particular).

Have you tried Stravastix?
  • larkim
    Yes I've got that running too. Still prefer Fetch for running stats in particular, but for cycling I think some of the Stavastix presentations and options are good.

I also love Tapiriik which is great for simply pushing around your activities so that they can be synced to multiple sites if that is what takes your fancy (e.g. to Training Peaks or MapMyRun etc).